UC Personal Statements Help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: UC Personal Statements Help
By Darussian (Darussian) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:33 am: Edit

Hey guys, please help me out here.

Question #1: I need some advice because I haven't been apart of any special programs. Can I talk about what academic subjects I like?

Question #2: I wrote about my talents, where I'm from, what I'm interested in, and I touched on my improvement. (600 words)

Question #3: I was thinking about writing about my improvement here, but I already touched on that subject in #2. Can I maybe write about my family and our whole journey to the United States and how it affected my life?

Thanks for your help.

By Bethjanelle (Bethjanelle) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 12:43 pm: Edit

After recently struggling with my own personal efforts with these Personal Statements, I've found a lot of help from reading other, great examples. The web actually has great posted articles that you can read, that have helped me out a lot. Just as generic advice: first, read through several good personal statements and figure out what appeals to you, if you're bored with the way someone conveys their accomplishments, chances are, admissions offices are as well. I think that any of these subjects can be potentially great essays, or just so-so. It's a matter of how hard you work on your revisions of these statements that will make or break your personal statement.

As far as answering your other quesitons, 1, there are ways in which you can make up for certain areas that you might be lacking in your application through your essays. While a good essay will not make up for drastic underqualification, it can help out those areas that you might be weaker in. I suppose it depends on what you mean by special programs.

2,3: It's like I said, it's a matter of how these are written. I knwo that I am personally entertained by pieces that do tell a story, while at the same time still havign a direct message about going to that college. I've read several acceptional essays about different individuals and their transition to the United States, they oftentimes provide for good essays, just try to avoid using a lot of the same ideas that everyone else might.

Good luck! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help, I understand the pains of these essays!

By Darussian (Darussian) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

bump

By Ayyoitisxc (Ayyoitisxc) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 07:40 pm: Edit

you say there are a lot of example essays on the internet. What are some good sites to look at? thanks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page