Are Middle-Easterners considered Asian American?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Are Middle-Easterners considered Asian American?
By Mkhan (Mkhan) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Are middle easterners considered asian american? i didnt think so but the app offers:
African American or Black
American Indian
Asian American
White
Mexican American or Chicano
Other Hispanic or Latino (please specify)
Multiracial (please specify)

Whats multiracial?

By Reba616 (Reba616) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

For some reason I think Middle Easterners are considered Caucasian. Don't ask me why, it just rings a bell. Multiracial is more than one race.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Yea middle eastern is considered caucasian (iam middle eastern, well somewhat)
My mom is also half black so i guess that would help me at college admissions?

By Mkhan (Mkhan) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Okay, thanks for clearing that up

By Mkhan (Mkhan) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

errr, Multiracial Action Plan Glossary:
http://www.io.com/~tam/multicultural/words.html

Asian American -- People of Asian descent living in the United States, including, but not limited to, people of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Philipino, and Nepalese heritage. People from India may prefer to be called South Asian. People from Pakistan may prefer to be called West Asian. In the past, the term Oriental was widely used but now is considered pejorative by many.

Im Pakistani by the way

Caucasian -- See White.
White -- Members of the dominant or majority culture in the United States. While the term Caucasian is commonly used in place of White, neither a common ancestry related to the Caucasus Mountains region, nor an assumption that all whites are culturally or ethnically homogeneous should be assumed. See Anglo American, European American.

Anglo American -- People of English descent living in the United States. This term is considered offensive by some when used as an inclusive alternative for White. Often shortened to Anglo. See European American, White.

European American -- People of European descent living in the United States. An emerging term favored by some as a preferred alternative to White, Anglo American, and Caucasian. See Anglo American, White.

I've always considered myself asian. What about you other Mid-easterners on this board?

By Ahlawahed (Ahlawahed) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

I put other and list myself being Arab-American, unless they say White/Caucasian (includes Middle Easterner).

By Got2go (Got2go) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 07:09 am: Edit

I put myself down as human-american.

By Demonllama (Demonllama) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

you're supposed to put white. they even said that on one of my application (might have been the UCs) in italics "Includes Middle Eastern" so there ya go.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I'm Pakistani too! Whoa cool.

Anyway, I put Asian American down for some, and Asian Indian for others. Screw it. If I don't make it to college, it won't matter, anyway.

By Drago (Drago) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Got2go-
Whenever my friend Sam sees the field "Race" down on a test of any kind, she'll check other and write "Human"...something to do with the term...and it's supposed to be ethnicity or something. Is this the same reason for you?

drago

By Sostressedout (Sostressedout) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Im arab too and I also put myself down as other

By Muslimah_Angel (Muslimah_Angel) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

It's white...many schools have the column saying "White( including Middle Eastern)" but you can always check the box for other, and specify. (if there is an 'other' box)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page