Is my essay too personal for MIT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Is my essay too personal for MIT?
By Drago (Drago) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

The MIT essay asks something like "Could you tell us about a time in your life when you experienced disappointment or faced trying circumstances? How did you react?"

I was wondering if this was a good topic: my sigmoidoscopy. It's a medical procedure (and some would argue an embarassing one) that I had done. The doctor (who is no longer my doctor anymore) told me that I faced a lot of problems with my digestive system and other major problems (eg-colon cancer) which is why she wanted to have the procedure done. Basically, she scared me into doing it...whereas most doctors would have changed my diet and so forth before using a medical procedure.

I'd be bluntly honest (as I am in real life) and explain it as such, but is it too personal for an essay for MIT?

Thanks,
drago

By Godis (Godis) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

you're going to tell the adcom how doctors stuck something up your ass? charming, really charming.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

its fine if there is some true significane behind it. is there really no other topic

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

one advice-keep it PG-13

By Financelad (Financelad) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

I dont think they will be pisseda bout a personal essay but if you are gonna use htis topic like becks77 sed keep it pg 13 and you ahve to MAKE SURE your essay tells how it was difficult for you and it ALSO has to answer your essay question completely

By Drago (Drago) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Godis-Yes, exactly. And how basically it taught me that knowledge is the most important thing in life.

I'm not going to describe the actual proceedure, but I'd be writing about how I reacted/what I learned from it. And I'd keep it PG-13.

And there really isn't much else to write about. The only other time I faced "trying times" is with the theater in my school, which wouldn't be as direct.

drago

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page