Parent's Education

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Parent's Education
By Coolmodee (Coolmodee) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 01:36 pm: Edit

My friend was lied about his parent's education on one of his application, hoping that it will help him get in the college saying they had none (educated in some other country). Yet another friend told him that they know if your parent's went to college or not because it is on your transcript or something. Is this true, do colleges know your parent's education somehow, i mean do they look up more info on you?

By Quain (Quain) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 02:08 pm: Edit

I doubt it highly that they can check your parents' education. But know this, they're likely to find out more info when you enter the school about your parents. If they ever find out the truth, you'll get kicked out of school, every school makes it pretty clear that they don't appreciate lies.

So you can roll the dice, and do what you think is right (or rather your friend).

By Coolmodee (Coolmodee) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

bump

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

is it better on your app that your parents don't have an education?? WTF??

By Coolmodee (Coolmodee) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

i don't know thats what my friend thinks.

By Shennie (Shennie) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 03:14 pm: Edit

If neither of your parents went to college, then you are considered a first generation college student. And yes, some schools give some added preference to first generation college students.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

The bottom line is that if your friend lies, and the lie is exposed (such as if his guidance counselor talks to the adcom, which does happen), even if he is accepted, the college probably will withdraw the acceptance because of his lie. It's simply not worth it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page