Claremont Colleges in CA

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Claremont Colleges in CA
By Freudboy (Freudboy) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

I am from southern california and i have never seriously considered going to the claremont colleges -- mckenna, harvey mudd, or pomona

i am looking for a pre-professional school, yet the other schools i am aiming for are stanford/berkeley/ucla/harvard/yale, etc. my friend just got back from mckenna this weekend and he said he'd rather go there than stanford. would it me a mistake for me not to even apply to the claremont colleges?

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

the claremont colleges are awesome!

btw, there's 5 collges, claremont mckenna, harvey mudd, pomona, pitzer, scripps. plus the CMC graduate school.

i'm applying ED to Scripps.

the best thing about the colleges is that with the consortium it feels like you're in a small school, but you have the resources and opportunities provided to you at a large school. you should totally look into them.

p.s. where in socal are you?

By Freudboy (Freudboy) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

i am from orange county

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Since you live so close, why not just go look at Claremont McKenna? It's an excellent school and you may be pleasantly surprised. And, at least you won't have any doubts then either way whether you "missed out" on something.

By Sidestoner (Sidestoner) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

I'm applying to Claremont Mckenna! I'm also applying to Stanford (where I have strong legacy links), Duke, Washington & Lee, Emory, CommonApp Ivies, and Northwestern. If I get into all of those schools, I'm going to Claremont. I visited this summer and have never been more impressed by any school, and I've visited dozens of top-tier schools.

By Sidestoner (Sidestoner) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 08:23 pm: Edit

As a potential student at Claremont McKenna, I feel compelled to add:

PUCK FAMONA

LOL, Some CMC students told me about that when I visited campus.

By Gnatcire (Gnatcire) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 12:09 am: Edit

Yeah, I've heard that too as a current Pomona student Sidestoner...

Anyway, if you are looking for a pre-professional school, I wouldn't overlook the Claremont Colleges, especially the three that you mentioned. The Wall-Street Journal ranked Pomona 13th (and CMC 22nd) for sending students to the top business, medical, and law schools. Both of these schools are ahead of Berkeley and UCLA, and not far behind the other schools to which you plan to apply. I'm sure Harvey Mudd sends a lot of students to great medical and engineering schools as well. I agree with Carolyn and think that you should check them out since you live so close.

By Freudboy (Freudboy) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 01:50 am: Edit

i've heard great things about them, but my asian ivy league freak parents would probably not pay 40k/yr to send me there over any ivy, and probly not even uc berkeley, or ucla. how could i convince them to allow me to consider these?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Tell them about how successful Claremont McKenna graduates are: 1 in 8 alumni is a CEO, CFO or holds a top management or leadership position. Over 200 employers recruit on a campus where there are only about 280 students in the graduating class.(source: Kaplan's Guide). Simply put, Claremont McKenna's mission is to educate the leaders of tommorrow - and make sure they get jobs after graduation.

I sincerely doubt UCLA or UCB can claim all that.

By Gnatcire (Gnatcire) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 03:40 pm: Edit

Tell your parents all the great things that you've heard about them or hard numbers that show that these schools are preparing their students well. If they are ranking obsessed, try showing them the wall street journal or usnews.

Another good thing about Pomona is that you might not have to pay 40k/yr depending on your financial background. Pomona gives out tons of financial aid - I wasn't expecting anything but ended up getting $15,000 a year and I know many people just like me. Maybe that will convince them.

By Sidestoner (Sidestoner) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

I'm excited about CMC, but I've heard that their president and DOS are ruining the school, atleast that's what a friend of mine (a current CMC student) has told me. Can anyone verify this?

By Kishi (Kishi) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

I know Harvey Mudd is known for science/math and Claremont McKenna is known for business, but what is Pomona known for?

By Gnatcire (Gnatcire) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 04:16 am: Edit

Pomona doesn't have a speciality like the other Claremont Colleges. It's known to have great programs across the board. Because of this, it's a good school for both people who do or don't know what they want to major in.

Just FYI, Pitzer's specialities are the social sciences and Scripps's are the fine and performing arts (although I've heard humanities and languages are too).

By Patient (Patient) on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

If you go to Pomona (or another Claremont College), can you do activities (like musical ensembles, for example) at the other schools? I know that the colleges combine for sports--Pomona/Pitzer, CMC/Harvey Mudd, etc--are you restricted to your own school for other extracurricular activities?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page