IMPORTANCE OF ESSAY





Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: IMPORTANCE OF ESSAY
By Godis (Godis) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 03:15 pm: Edit

how much will a good essay help in terms of admission?

By Blinker (Blinker) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

90% of the time, it won't do anything. 3% of the time, it will definitely boost your chance. These essays are the ones that leave an impression on the adcoms. The other 7% of the times, bad essays will keep you out.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Godis, a good essay can do a lot! it can bring a mediocre student out of the stream of normality. it tells an infinite amount of things about the individual, and the adcoms are experts at evaluating it. nonetheless 90% of essays are mediocre. it's ok for excellent students (as long as the essay isnt BAD) but for the rest of us, we need the essay to excel.
don't undermine it.

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

It depends on the school. It matters very much for very selective private schools. For most state schools, it doesn't mean much at all.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

i wouldnt say so. a superb essay would raise some eyebrows in state schools and might compensate for a lot. on the other hand, in a private school it can only help an application, but cannot compensate for some essential criteria

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 06:24 pm: Edit

An essay can never compensate for essential criteria, no matter what school. But I mean, look at the UCs. They don't require recommendations. It just seems like private schools put more emphasis on the "extra" things than the state schools do.


Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page