Princeton Interview

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Princeton Interview
By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 01:31 pm: Edit

I know there are other interview threads around, but I wanted to make one devoted to my first choice. I am a marginal candidate for Princeton ED, and was wondering how much my interview would affect the admissions process. I also want to clarify a few doubts before going in next Friday.

What type of clothing is expected for a male?

I usually make a few jokes here and there in my conversations. Should I do so in my interview?

What kind of questions should I ask the interviewer? Would asking about her specific experiences be inappropriate because it is too personal?

Just offer up any tips you can...what to do if there is an akward pause or whatever.

Thank you. Your help is truly apprecitated.

By Savedlatin (Savedlatin) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 04:45 pm: Edit

I was at Princeton in October for my interview, and was just as worried as you were. In the words of Douglas Adams, don't panic; they intend it to be really casual and low-key. As for dress, I'd say nice casual. I'm a girl, but the dressiest guys I saw in my interview and the one after wore khakis and a polo. Because it's a group interview, jokes seem a little more appropriate (though I suppose it depends on the interviewer, mine was very low-key).

The interviewer will only take questions at the end about the school in general, so it's difficult to get very personal. Mostly, he/she will be asking you (and the 4-5 other kids) about your school, your activities, and anything you're passionate about. It's really the most informal interview I've ever attended, jobs included. I just tried to be myself as much as possible, and was pleasantly surprised when my interviewer recognized me at a Princeton travel presentation in my hometown a month later. I doubt this will help my chances as a marginal RD, but it was still nice.

Best of luck at your interview and with admissions!

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Useful info :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page