Questions regarding GPA

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Questions regarding GPA
By Bov (Bov) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 07:56 am: Edit

I have seen people on these boards call a GPA of 3.6 low. This seems weird to me; if the scale is anything like the scale we use where I live (I'm in Europe), I'd intuitively think a 3.6 out of 4.0 should be very high -- as in the top 5% nationally, at least..

So a few questions:

What is the national average (unweighted) GPA of seniors? What is the national average of college-bound seniors? What would a GPA in the bottom of the top 25% of all (college-bound) seniors be? What about bottom of the top 10%? What about 5%? 1%? If you don't know the exact numbers, just guesstimate.

Just curious. Thanks.

By Homehill (Homehill) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 11:14 am: Edit

don't have the figues you ask for, but there is in this country rampant grade inflation unlike what was the case in the US a generation ago, and perhaps even in Europe. With things like curves, retesting, dropping of the lowest test, and extra credit projects, it is impossible to get in this country less than a 3.5 if you have motivation to suceed. What used to be known as the "gentleman's C" is now the "gentleman's B.

By Zeus (Zeus) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 11:17 am: Edit

I guess your rank is more important than the GPA. It would give a more precise standing of you and your class.

By Anothersuitcase (Anothersuitcase) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 11:36 am: Edit

"I guess your rank is more important than the GPA. It would give a more precise standing of you and your class."

Not necessarily. I'm a transfer student from a different state (with a much more difficult grading scale), and my new school not only REFUSES to acknowledge my past courses as honors/AP etc. (and weight them accordingly), they also refuse to adjust my grades accordingly [i.e. a 92 is a B+ in Virginia, but an A in Florida--and weighted much differently] even though Virginia, my old state, had a much more difficult curriculum than that of Florida, my new state.)

Kids who've taken MUCH lighter course loads are ranked higher than me, which doesn't bother me so much as the fact that rank is held in greater esteem than GPA in the eyes of adcoms.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page