UPenn interview comming up

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: UPenn interview comming up
By Mike105 (Mike105) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Has anyone had his/her UPenn interview yet? Mine is comming up and I want to be prepared for the type of questions which will be asked. Also, at the end when they ask if you have any further questions to ask, how can you if it is an ED school and you must already be happy with whatever questions you had. You dont want to show any doubts whether you want to attend. Should you say you have none?

By Momx4 (Momx4) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 04:23 pm: Edit

The type of questions the interviewers ask vary widely by interviewer. Most engage you in friendly conversation. Penn says on its website that the interview is for you to find out more abot Penn and they imply that it is not evaluative at all by stating that you should use the written portion of the application to make a case for yourself and not rely on the interview. That being said, I can tell you about my daughter's interview from hell yesterday. The interviewer had a list of questions he asked my daughter, some of which were, in my estimation, inappropriate. She could not draw the interviewer into any conversation; he answered her questions with one word answers. He was very negative throughout the entire interview (it lasted exactly one hour). He took notes on all her answers; she was very uncomfortable. At the end of the interview however he told her that she wouldn't be rejected- she would be either accepted or deferred. Three of her classmates also applied to Penn ED but they each had different interviewers and theirs were much more friendly and comfortable.

By Roxysurfet (Roxysurfet) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 04:43 pm: Edit

I had my Wharton ED interview yesterday...it went well. My interviewer was very friendly and after he finished talking to me, started talking to my mom for like an hour. Basically the interviewer recieves a paper with your name and basic information. On his sheet, there were questions he was supposed to ask me: Why do you want to go...etc. and What is not apparent in your application.. Those types of questions. Good luck!

By Cooltx75 (Cooltx75) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

I had my interview on monday, and it went spectacularly well. I guess it all depends on the interviewer. I had a very nice lady and we talked for about an hour and a half! She told me at the end that she would love for me to go, and that after the interview she couldnt see me anywhere else. She also told me that she was gonna do everything she could to help me...but i dunno since these interviews dont count for much. I wouldnt put too much on it if it goes ok...it cant hurt u, only if its a disaster. So just do fine...have a nice conversation...dont let the interviewer talk too much...and ull be fine.

By Mike105 (Mike105) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Is it a differnt interview if you want to go to Wharton?

Also, what kind of questions did you ask? I had an interview during the summer for another college, and in that case, i was able to ask how i could fit in, etc. But I am applying ED; I dont have a choice to pull out if I dont like the school anylonger. Are the only questions I could ask stuff like, "How was your expirience at Penn" or "How has Penn changed since you went there".

By Momx4 (Momx4) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Hehe, D asked her interviewer about the EC's he was involved in at Penn and the interviewer told her the interview is about her, not him. "How has Penn changed since you went there" sounds like a good question.

D applied to Penn Engineering, but she knows someone who applied to the college who had this interviewer too. Maybe Wharton has its own alumni interviewers, I don;t know.

By Roxysurfet (Roxysurfet) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Wharton has its own alumni interviewers separate from the college/other programs, at least in my city. I did ask him how he liked Penn and everything. He told me that he got accepted into the college, and then all of his friends told him to transfer into Wharton, and they all got in. I think it is harder to do that now. All of our Penn interviewers are Jewish, coincidence?

By Momx4 (Momx4) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Not only was D's interviewer Jewish, he asked her if she is Jewish and if she is observant. He seemed to be disappointed when she said she is Jewish but not observant. The interviewer told her there is an active Hillel on campus and asked her if she is planning to go to Hillel. The interviewer also wanted to know why would a Jewish girl apply to engineering

By Metz (Metz) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 03:29 am: Edit

When the admissiosn process is over (i.e. when the interviewer can't effect your daughter's chances anymore) you should call up the school and complain about this person if you think they did a very poor job and acted innapropriately at the interview.

By Thelazyone (Thelazyone) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 04:01 am: Edit

Well, UPenn is the big Jewish school, 50% by some estimates. 35% mark down Jewish as a religion(not necessarily including people who merely consider themselves racially/culturally Jewish).

By Momx4 (Momx4) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 09:09 am: Edit

Metz, that's exactly what I was planning to do

By Puppy (Puppy) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

haha the person who interviewed me was obviously jewish "weinstein or something". They asked me if i was jewish if i read books outside of school and stuff. The person was really nice and was laughing and said shed try to make sure id get in, although people still usually didnt. The interviews dont count for much, so dont worry.

By Puppy (Puppy) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 12:21 pm: Edit

sorry posted twice.

By Puppy (Puppy) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 12:22 pm: Edit

well duh, it's ain't called the jewniversity of pennsylvania for nothing. I wonder if i lost points for that cause they might think im not rich.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page