MIT is where I want to be.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: MIT is where I want to be.
By Ox (Ox) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

I'd like to ask if, with the scores and I have and my background, whether its possible I'll get accepted to MIT. Any advice you have would really help.

SATI - verbal 740 math 710
SATII - writing 680 Math IIc 660 Chem 620
ACT 32
4.0 gpa and I've taken the most advanced classes possible, no AP, its not a choice at my school.
I'm also taking a few classes at the local college, Chem 111, sociology, and C++ programming, but they are just for my own personal learning really, its not the best college in the world.
For activities, I don't have many.
Piano for 4 years, band for 2 then jazz band for 3, quiz bowl for three, and student council for one, but I'm not putting that on my admission letter since I don't really do anything, I just joined because no one else wanted the one spot.
At best I stop the other members from doing things that will make the rest of the class hate them. I'd feel guilty for putting it down in the first place.

I'm definitely going to apply, even if it is a long shot, but I'd like some advice on my essay. I'm trying to write it without begging to be accepted. I don't know how to say I've dreamed about MIT my entire life, even when I didn't know it existed, without sounding insane. I love science and math like other people love sports or movies. I haven't as advanced of courses in either as I'd like, but I just know that when I read Discover or am in Calculus, I'm happy, something that I'm usually not.

One more thing. On the newest one there is a choice for filling in a piece of paper any way you want to. Would making an origami shape, folded paper art, be original and interesting or would it just look childish?

Last point. Would it help to mention somewhere the two colleges I've been accepted to so far, RoseHulmann in Illinois, and Michigan tech. Would the admissions office already know about this? I don't think it will help much anyway. Both are good scools, but they also accept almost all their applicants.

Thank you for any help you may offer.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:30 am: Edit

It would say it's a hefty stretch because your SAT and SATII Math scores aren't that great. If you had that 740 in SAT Math and a 740+ in Math IIC, your chances would be a lot better. MIT is math based school and your math scores weight heavily in the admissions process. You might want to look at retaking those if you were willing to fork out a bit more money for late registration on the SATs or perhaps go to college a semester later. Good luck either way.

-Jesse

By Sidestoner (Sidestoner) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Your SATI scores are pretty good. However, your SATI math score, while impressive in most places, is not impressive at MIT.

Given the curve on the Math IIC, a 660 is definately not good enough for MIT. You'll need a 750 (minimum) to be a serious candidate at MIT, unless you are a minority applicant or come from an underrepresented state, but even then, you'd better at least crack the 700 mark. MIT *might* overlook your SATII writing score, but you'll definately need a higher score in a "hard science" than a 620. Ideally, you'll have a chem and/or physics SATII score of 750+.

If math/sciences interest you, consider some more realistic options: (some of which will still be "stretches.")

Colorado School of Mines (realistic)

Rose Hullman Institute of Technology (stretch)

Emory (realistic for most majors, but maybe not for engineering etc. Work to improve SATII wrtiting. Getting it above 700 would help a lot.)

Harvey Mudd (Pretty big stretch)

Carnegie Mellon (Pretty big stetch)

US Military Academy aka West Point (your SATI scores would be noticeably good)

You are a very strong candidate, but your SATII's are not good enough to take you where you want to go. However, your ACT's are much better then your SATII's and that could help you alot, espescially in the Midwest and West Coast.

By Sidestoner (Sidestoner) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

I just noticed that you said you've already been accepted to Rose Hullman. Well then disregard part of my message above. Nice choice, several of my math/science oriented friends have applied there. And, like you, they are also holding out for MIT and/or CalTech, I don't what their chances are however.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page