Work vs volunteering

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Work vs volunteering
By Desprateslacker (Desprateslacker) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

i was wondering how much better is it to volunter than to work for money. I have a choice to get a job or volunteer id rather take the job but i was wondering if it looks as good as volunteering, also the job is kinda more interesting and relates to my better subjects

By Sac (Sac) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Jobs count, too, especially if they relate to your interests. Colleges see through volunteering just to pad an application pretty fast.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

I think most colleges just want to know that you are doing something. They understand that kids have to work for various reasons, whether financially or because their parents are making them do so. Do you really think someone is going to say "let's accept this person because she volunteered, while he worked?" Nooo... not happening! Relax, do what is best for you. If you find it to be detrimental for other reasons (i.e. can't get into NHS or something because of it), just attach a separate letter explaining that the job is better for your career goals or whatever.

By Averageasian (Averageasian) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Well, my parents said that i was going to get a job, i would work for them (and it sucks working for them). So we settled on volunteering at a local hospital. It was this summer that i racked up 310 hours of community service... it was great. I got a few awards from doing it and a NICE paying job WITH company car (my first car ^^) in the fall when school started. It was pretty much a job since i did 50 hours a week.

Volunteering > Working, IMO

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page