Suspension importance

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Suspension importance
By Welshie (Welshie) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 07:02 pm: Edit

I know a lot (if not all) applications ask if you've been suspended. I personally, have been suspended. Now, should I make it a point to explain why I was suspended? It is a bit ridiculous (I dressed up in a chicken suit and ran out onto the football field when we played against the Centennial GoldenHAWKS [since I went out while they were playing it was offically labelled "Disturbing a School Athletic Event"]). Anywho, how bad will that reflect on me? I know one part of me wants to say it will reflect good on me because I was lively enough to go out and do it and show spirit that some applicants lack. The rest of my stats are solid (1410 SAT, 3.813 GPA, top 5%, etc). Thanks for any reply.

-Jesse

By Reba616 (Reba616) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

I would laugh if I were an admissions officer reading that... at least it shows you have some personality. Don't sweat it.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 07:12 pm: Edit

Whew, thanks for the encouragement. Your perception and my perception are pretty much the same, I just hope the admissions officer will appreciate the humor of it and realize it wasn't meant to be malice or bad-intentioned. Heck, if all looks good, I might even use it to my advantage. We'll see.

-Jesse

By Legacy (Legacy) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 04:14 am: Edit

I agree with Reba, it might actually be a breathe of fresh air. As long as it wasn't something violent or illegal, it's fine.

By Dancer (Dancer) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:33 am: Edit

Oh, I think that is FUNNY and rather endearing. I think any suspension is supposed to be explained, anyway - so you can explain this one in a comical way.

By Redbeard (Redbeard) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 07:25 am: Edit

I think you need to explain it on those applications that ask about suspensions. On the others, I would leave it alone.

In general, I agree that it will do you little or no harm. Know this, however: on those applications where you mention the incident, you will forever be labeled the "chicken suit guy" in the corridors of the admissions committee.

I can envision a few instances where there will be a negative reaction by an ADCOM reader. Say you're applying to a university that has had problems with its halftime football shows (too sarcastic, too close to the truth, whatever). The ADCOM might think: we have too many chicken suit guys already.

For that reason, I would advise you to apply to a few more schools than you normally would, just to increase the likelihood you'll get a good reaction.

By Nyugrad (Nyugrad) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:29 am: Edit

Don't lose any feathers over it!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page