Please edit my essay

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Please edit my essay
By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:25 am: Edit

If we were to search for the etymology of the word Dream, we might end up surprised with its meaning. “Something beyond the possible reality”, some dictionaries would tell you. As a matter of fact, the dreams fuel us to the future self-achievement. Our childhood fantasies are more likely to be mere illusions, but once we begin to mature, these illusions gradually morph into goals, a concrete attempt to reach our financial and intellectual stability.
When i was young, my biggest dream was to boost myself as a volleyball player and be the best in the world. It was quite of a big reach. I started to play at the age of 11 for my school’s team, but as soon as I walked in, I saw that a few trainings per week were not going to satiate my hunger for that game. Two years later, I climbed one step to challenge myself playing both court and beach volleyball. I still remember my coach Marcos’s foretelling words: “Gabriel, I am sure you have a bright future ahead. Please do not comfort yourself with the little you get in your life. Try to always ask the most of yourself never give up and, if you succeed, take a look back and remember those words. This is not cliché, it is a prophesy.”
Today those would be words of instigation, but I did not give them the proper value at the time. After leaving the beach volleyball due to schedule problems, I decided to defy myself hardly. I abandoned the beach volleyball and passed though a tough test competing against almost 800 people for one spot in the most recognized team of my country. I was in!!
At first, I was kissing the stars, but quickly realized that it was no joke. Eight hours a day of intense trainings. Six months later, I was suffocated with so much team and school related work to accomplish. My mind’s thoughts to drop the sport were working on a daily basis but, standing there was my father, spelling his sweet-spiced words of advice: “ Do not be stupid, you have got a cause to look after. Do not give up so damn easy!”. Despite of my father’s words, I faded after one year and a half in the team. I felt bad.
The dream of a child was suddenly left behind. I was scared. The tough real word situation took great proportions in my life, so I realized that it was time to move on and focus on the given goal, something I would really incline to achieve. From the Team I learned three things: To respect the others, intensively when they stand in different hierarchical levels, to work in group and, the most important of them, I learned that I far away from being perfect, so I have to deal with criticism coming from all directions.
In my opinion, those three values working as one will build inside me a huge will-power and it is a great start to,someday, beat the massive pressure of the job market and, hopefully reach the so mentioned Financial and Intellectual Stability, now as a real man.

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:50 am: Edit

bump

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 05:02 pm: Edit

bump guys!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page