PLEASE have a quick look at activity statement :-)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: PLEASE have a quick look at activity statement :-)
By Smiley (Smiley) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

On the evening of January 10, 2003, my spirits rose higher than the colorful helium balloons filling the ice arena. The thrill that I experienced was not so much the pride that may accompany triumph as the joy of knowing that this event would help grant the wish of a special child. Nine months earlier, my dad suggested that I think about trying to transform the hockey game between my school and our cross-town rival into a Town Championship to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Over the ensuing period, determined to bring this idea into fruition, I collaborated with the respective principals and athletic directors, formed a planning committee comprised of students from both schools, enlisted the support of area businesses, and worked with state and local government officials. In the process, I discovered within myself a leader to whom I had not previously been introduced. Until that point in my life, I had contributed one or two ingredients to many recipes. This event afforded me the opportunity to be the Chef. As I addressed the crowd of 800, as I saw the excitement in the smiles of all who took part, as I learned later that we raised $4,000, and, above all, as I envisioned the seriously ill child whom we enabled to go to Disneyworld, I experienced in a new way what Ghandi meant by “service rendered in a spirit of joy.”

By Smiley (Smiley) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page