Which colleges offer free online apps?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Which colleges offer free online apps?
By Aznbrouhaha (Aznbrouhaha) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Anyone know which prestigious colleges (if any!) have the waived fee if you apply online?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Wellesley.

But why is "prestigious" the first thing you're looking for? That seems odd. Very odd. As if there weren't other and better reasons for going to college.

By Financelad (Financelad) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

well hofstra university and Colorado school of mines waived their fee for me :)

By Matlm (Matlm) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

GO HOFSTRA!!

By Fofisty (Fofisty) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:08 pm: Edit

carleton

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Prestige is a good reason to go to college. One of my #1 reasons...

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Hofstra? Prestigious?! ha!

By Mischeljason (Mischeljason) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 07:02 pm: Edit

colgate--fairly prestigious (for a LAC!!!)

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

Carleton did last year

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Prestige is a lousy reason to do most anything. See also, "fool's gold."

Finding a fit that's good for *you*, being happy with what you're doing, those are good reasons. I know more people who sought and got prestigious jobs, for instance, and are now pretty unhappy. They've got prestige, they've got a fair amount of bucks, but they're not happy with their life.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Ok, I agree that prestige is not a sound basis for choosing a school on its own, but it should still be a part of the admissions process. If someone got a full ride from Cal State Long Beach, but got into Harvard with minimal financial aid.....don't you think they would take Harvard--despite the fact that everything (including books and a labtop) would be paid for at Cal State and they would have an easy courseload with almost no degree of difficulty in comparison to a Harvard education.

Granted this is an extreme example, but I think you see what I'm getting at. Also, employers do not care about people, they only care about education and experience. They see a big name on a resume and assume that the person is qualified to do the job simply because he attended an excellent school. I honestly think nearly all kids would be happier putting up with 4 years of harsh competition and sleepless nights at a premier university in order to gain more success in their future, and secure an easier life for themselves.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Oh and I'm applying to Carleton because I'm filling out the common app anyways and it wont cost me an extra dime to send my application to a top notch school.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

"Granted this is an extreme example, but I think you see what I'm getting at. Also, employers do not care about people, they only care about education and experience. They see a big name on a resume and assume that the person is qualified to do the job simply because he attended an excellent school. I honestly think nearly all kids would be happier putting up with 4 years of harsh competition and sleepless nights at a premier university in order to gain more success in their future, and secure an easier life for themselves.

But that's just my 2 cents. "

Thank you, I'm going to copy and paste that and attribute it to you from now on.

RIGHT ON!

By Goodkid2004 (Goodkid2004) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Rochester

By Taekwondoee (Taekwondoee) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Also Bryn Mawr and Mount Holyoke.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:50 pm: Edit

Andrey, I have little problem with your more nuanced point of view as prestige being a part of a much larger mix.

However, I can state for certain that neither you nor Webhappy has ever been an employer. Your view is grossly distorted, like a MAD Magazine version of reality. About a third of my real-life social circle consists of folks with hiring/firing power and I've had it and TheMom has it: you're premise is wrong.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

I looked at Wellesley's and it says something about paying with a credit card if you apply online.

This is confusing.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:11 am: Edit

I wouldnt say a MAD Magazine version of reality, more like the 17-year-old's version of reality.

But I can understand your opinion and why you view it as suxh (in fact I even view it as correct to a very large extent). It's a genuinely honest principle to assume that we choose places where we will be happy, but it's also impossible to guess where we will truly be happy. We can tour the campus, view the charts on "diversity," check out the size of the dorms and eat at the restuarants but until we've actually lived and studied at the campus there is no way of telling whether or not we will enjoy our time there. Yes, many people instinctually know what school is right for them and live happily ever after for the next four years of their life, but a lot of kids just go where the money is or where the name is.

I know you have a lot more experience than me on these matters (and my views are probably naive), but it's possible to have a good college experience at 99% of the campuses in the US regardless of what kind of person you are. It's a rare minority that grow to hate their campus, most can tolerate a school for 4 years and enjoy the social scene. In fact, it's probably more common for students to fall in love with the name of the school and enjoy their education simply because of where it's coming from.

Comfort and identity should be first and foremost in determining your college, but it's impossible to ignore the name recognition. I know it's probably going to sound dumb coming from a kid to an adult: it's very idealistic to assume that prestige should play no part in college choice--this is coming from a student looking for college right now. The name is simply too important.

Maybe I'll realize as a junior getting Cs in my classes at some big name school (if I'm lucky enough to get in) that you were right and I should have just stuck with UCI and gotten a 3.5 and gone to med school....but for now I just can't accept that view. I did not waste 4 years of hard work in high school to accept it.

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 02:15 am: Edit

Twinkletoes, my D applied to Wellesley online this past weekend and there was no charge.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 02:47 am: Edit

Andrey, I think things may be a little less harsh than you suggest. Various responses: Typically, about 10-15 percent of a class will transfer. Of the remaining 85-90 percent, I'd guess about a third are happy, a third are content, and a third are lazy. Choosing a college is difficult for all the reasons you suggest and, not to boggle you or anything, but I actually think a student's gut instinct is as important as all the finely reasoned rationale.

Given the choice between C's at a big-name school and a 3.5 at UCI, I'd be looking for Door Number Three.

Prestige playing no part is perhaps an unattainable ideal...but like a girl looking at the size of a guy's wallet or a guy looking at the size of-- never mind, I think you get my point--on should recognize it for the fool's gold that it is.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 02:51 am: Edit

Btw, Andrey, feel free to suggest hypocrisy: I'll note that my D's six schools are YHS, Smith, Wellesley, and Barnard...not a slouch there. But I'm very pleased by the process by which she got to those six, not even glancing at many prestige schools and seriously considering non-prestigious schools...and UC Irvine and Skidmore were dropped only when her last SAT scores came in and George Washington stayed on the list until August.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page