Pre-AP vs. Honors

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Pre-AP vs. Honors
By Madpie21 (Madpie21) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

Hi guys!

I decided to apply to Michigan last night at around midnight (after submitting my 9 other apps two weeks ago!)

Anyway, the app asks you to list the number of honors classes you've taken. My school's advanced courses for underclassmen are pre-AP. Am I allowed to call those honors classes?

Thanks so much yall, and good luck surviving senior year and apps. Just a little over a month until ED/EA notifications!

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Pre-Ap = Honors in my daughter's high school.

By Over30 (Over30) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Same at our school, Pre AP are counted as honors classes.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Hmm, in my daughter's school pre-AP classes are not considered honors classes unless they are specifically called "honors" and you receive extra points towards your GPA for taking them. All other classes - even if they are pre-requisites for taking an AP class or are called "advanced" (i.e., English 10 Advanced)- are not considered honors classes. That's the way the UCalif system counts honors courses too - I'd check with the specific college before considering a pre-AP class that isn't specifically called "honors" an honors class.

By Madpie21 (Madpie21) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Thanks so much yall, it looks like preAP is equivalent to honors. Carolyn--at my school, preAP is considered advanced and you do get extra GPA points. Thanks again :)

By Rondafaye (Rondafaye) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

In our school system, pre-AP courses are weighted, and are considered more rigorous than honors classes -- although honors, pre-AP and AP receive the same weighting for GPA.

By Over30 (Over30) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

I'll clarify our school's grading. Standard classes (non-honors academic classes, gym, etc.) are worth 4 points. All honors classes are worth 5 points, including pre-AP classes. You have to take the pre-AP classes to get into the AP classes for Calculus AB and BC and English. AP classes are worth 6 points.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page