Good SAT I Bad SAT IIs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Good SAT I Bad SAT IIs
By Bear363 (Bear363) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 11:43 pm: Edit

I did good on my SATs (1360)but I believe I did horrible on my SAT IIs. I believe I did good in writing, but in the Math IC and Literature I probably got like a 400! LOL Do colleges, particularly Cornell, weigh the SAT II scores heavily, or will SAT I cancel out the bad SATIIs? Furthermore, the University of Chicago, Notre Dame, and USC do not require SAT IIs for admission but say that if they are submitted, they are considered 'supplemental'. Does this mean that since the SAT II scores get sent to the colleges along with my SAT I, does it mean that they factor in the SAT IIs for admission? Or do they ignore them for admission and just consider your SAT I? Help!

By Dadx (Dadx) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 08:33 am: Edit

When you send ANY SAT scores, no matter whether they are I or II, the College Board sends ALL of you previous scores of either type. There is no way to conceal them.

IF you have PREVIOUSLY sent your SAT I scores, and dont like the SAT II performance you had, don't send the SAT II scores to schools that dont require them. If you haven't already sent the SAT I scores, you have no way to withold the SAT II scores from them.

Northwestern on its website indicates directly that stronger SAT II scores can help offset weaker SAT I scores. They dont say anything about the other way around.

I think the opposite situation creates a problem for the admissions office because it makes it look as though your school and curriculum are weak. This might be more excused in a lower income setting, but will raise a question if you come from a normal or especially an upper income area. It also depends on how big the disparity in scores is and also what your grade record is.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page