Shoud I answer "which other colleges are you applying to?"

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Shoud I answer "which other colleges are you applying to?"
By Selesiana (Selesiana) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Is it true that you're not supposed to fill out the section of the application that asks which other colleges you are applying to? I have heard various advice... Should I just put the colleges which I am applying to which are not as good, so that they will get the impression that they are probably one of my top choices? Is it okay to not fill it out at all?

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Your best bet is to not fill it out at all, in my opinion anyways.

By Selesiana (Selesiana) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Even if I put only some of the less competitive schools I am applying to?

I'm applying to Tulane, and if I put Ohio Wesleyan, Denison, Franklin & Marshall, University of Vermont, as my other schools, wouldn't they get the impression that I have a high degree of interest in them?

Although I'm also applying to Emory, Rice, and Davidson, I wouldn't tell this to them..

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

I did on the University of Chicago app... :(... they are my number 1 choice too, but I'm applying to Rice and Columbia also...

By Selesiana (Selesiana) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

So you now wish you hadn't put down Rice & Columbia?

I have to get this application in today.. Does anyone else have input?

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 02:47 pm: Edit

So you now wish you hadn't put down Rice & Columbia?

I have to get this application in today.. Does anyone else have input?

Yeah, because now they might think I'm not actually interested in University of Chicago. But I am, and am going to try my best to convey that during the interview.

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

I probably wouldn't fill it in.

By Valpal (Valpal) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 06:02 pm: Edit

How could it possibly be of any advantage to you, the applicant, to supply such information to a potential college? Armed with this information, colleges might decide NOT to offer you a place based on suppositions about your likelyhood to matriculate. Often times, colleges will ask you which college you plan to attend after you've decline their offer of admission---but again, this is AFTER the fact. They use this information to compile statistics about their own relative desirability against their competition. No way would I give them any reason to assume anything while I'm still in the application process. I say, leave it blank.

By Whatever17 (Whatever17) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Oh..••••. Why didnt this question come up before I seny my application??
I applied to Tulane, and my reasoning was, shoot I wanna look smart, so im gonna put down the best colleges Im applying to.
So I said, Stanford, USC, Pepperdine and Rochester.
I guess thats not a good idea eh??
Well...Im ••••••...after all that work......

By Abyss (Abyss) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

you're not going to get rejected because of that!
believe me your reasoning is fine
it's an innocent question
i dont believe that colleges will be putting anything of a factor to this question

By Selesiana (Selesiana) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

No way would I give them any reason to assume anything while I'm still in the application process. I say, leave it blank.

This is what I assumed; however, since I have some other schools which are decidedly lower than Tulane (Ohio Wesleyan, Denison, University of Vermont), I thought that perhaps that listing just those could be an advantage for me because then admissions might think that I would be very likely to matriculate.

However, if I leave it blank they may assume that I am applying to other, much better schools which I don't want to reveal for the reasons you stated (because I'm sure they won't assume that they're the only college I'm applying to).

By Selesiana (Selesiana) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Also, if I choose only a few colleges to tell them that I am applying to (out of the 8-10 I am really applying to), they will assume there is a higher probability that I will choose Tulane. If I don't put anything, they don't know their chances--maybe they would choose someone who they think they have better chances with over me?

By Bananabean (Bananabean) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

if you put down the more competitive colleges, there may be a chance that a college will accept you to keep the others from taking you!!! i dunno...someone told me that once...

By Valpal (Valpal) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

How would this keep the others from taking you, Bananabean?

By Dewey (Dewey) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 05:09 pm: Edit

I was filling out the Tulane app too, and I put down Maryland and Boston College as the other two I'm applying to, even though I'm applying to Emory and UNC as well.

By Bananabean (Bananabean) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 07:47 pm: Edit

well it wouldnt keep others from accepting you, but say you're applying to one of their rivals and you have great stats...then they might take another look at you...

By Bananabean (Bananabean) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

besides, they have ways of finding out where you've applied anyway

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

I am not 100% sure but I believe the college board SAT score report that is sent to colleges shows all of the schools where the scores were ordered sent. If this is true, then schools will know whether you list them or not. I just wrote to the college board to see if this is true - if I hear back from them I will let you know.

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

I wrote to them about it and they said that no, other schools do not see who else you're sending scores to.

By Bear363 (Bear363) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

For my Notre Dame App I put down I was doing ED to University of Michigan! LOL! JK

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 03:03 pm: Edit

Yes FolkHero - I heard back from them also. I apologize if I made anyone's heart stop by suggesting the possibility.

By Aparent1 (Aparent1) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 03:08 pm: Edit

Colleges don't see the SAT score report recipients. However, if you are applying for financial aid, they do see all the other colleges receiving your finaid form.

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 03:14 pm: Edit

FAFSA or Profile??!!!! Or is that a different office altogether? Do the people letting you in see it?

By Aparent1 (Aparent1) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 03:32 pm: Edit

To be honest, I don't remember exactly, but I'm thinking it's the FAFSA. We had to file both for our son, because he applied ED and they wanted FAFSA in the fall and Profile in the spring. When I saw that it looked as though the info was going to go out to all the colleges, I wrote the an email saying that this put finaid applicants at a clear disadvantage. They sent back an email that basically said, "Too bad." Maybe somebody else is positive about which form it is...

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 07:29 pm: Edit

FAFSA for sure.

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 07:53 pm: Edit

On the Columbia tour they made a point of showing us how far the finaid office was from the admissions office. Slightly comforting.

By Freak4korn72 (Freak4korn72) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Why would a school reject you based on another school youre applying at. That would just be stupid. "Oh yeah they are really good for our school, so we're going to reject them since they're applying at Stanford and will get in and go there. Lets just screw ourselves out of $40,000"

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

The way Rachel Toor portrays it in her book, a LOT of second-guessing like that goes on.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

I judge Toor's book to be less reliable than other. One person's opinion only. To me, it seemed as if she were writing with an Agenda.

By Kjofkw (Kjofkw) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:24 am: Edit

I have heard that some schools will reject you, if they feel you are applying there as a safety only. Listing colleges gives them an idea if this might be true.

I have heard that some schools MIGHT give you a tad more money, if they know other schools on your list are very generous, and they are interested in you.

I have heard that some schools might reject you if they think they are only one of many. Select schools have more applicants than they need. They might as well choose those who they think will come. It raises their rate, and therefore USNews score.

Notice...these are all rumors, without any facts to back it up.

Personally I feel it to be an invasion of privacy. Most schools know you are applying to more than one college. Leaving it blank shows that you do not trust their question. Filling it in probably only puts you at a disadvantage.

BTW. We were shocked the other day. My son has already sent part 1 on-line applications to 3 schools. #1 was a local state school, #2 & 3 were private schools, While filling out the application for school #4 (private,very selective), we noticed their database already included the information that we applied to school #1!!!! We had no idea how they could have received this information, except that he applied on-line to both. Perhaps they use a shared on-line service that can be cross-checked? All require your social security #? Scarey, how our privacy is being invaded!!!!

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 08:05 pm: Edit

I talked to a Tufts admissions officer during an alumni interviewer conference. She said that the issue of students possibly going to another school if accepted is not normally taken into consideration. For example, should a student's application suggest that she would go to a school that gave her better finanicial aid, it would not be an issue unless two admissions officers were at odds over that kid for another reason. Then, the one who was not in her favour may mention that it doesn't look like she would go anyway. Also, if a kid is applying regular decision, and his parents and brother went to Williams, they may question his application to Tufts... but if he sent along something explaining his desire for the latter, the admissions committee is not going to be upset. The upshot of the whole thing is that there is only a problem when the admissions committee is divided on a decision initially. Now, that is only one of some three thousand admissions committees...

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:58 am: Edit

Everyone do chill out

I applied to Tulane last year and wrote down the other schools I applied to (Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Brown, Pomona, CSU, UO).

I got in. No problem. Tulane already has a low matriculation rate. They're not going to reject you because you're also applying to Stanford. Cause the thing is, everyone else and their dog is applying there too!

I didn't get into those other schools, and resultingly, Tulane is getting me. So good thing they didn't care.

So don't worry! Fill out the form, in full

By Bmurry (Bmurry) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

During my USC interview I was asked point blank where else I had interviewed. I couldn't lie! I am sure the interviewer would have know. I said UPenn. Then he said 'Hmmm...UPenn. Good school'.

Ack!

How bad was that?

By Tenisghs (Tenisghs) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:06 pm: Edit

It gives colleges an idea whom they are competing against. It won't hurt your application to list what other schools you are applying.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 04:59 pm: Edit

I don't think colleges would ask you and then hold it against you. Maybe they think it gives them an idea of your thought process and aspirations. Or alternate interests. If Caltech sees that you've applied to 6 liberal arts colleges plus them, that might cause more pause than if you say you are applying to MIT plus them (which everyone probably does).

By Mk1o3o (Mk1o3o) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

it might hurt you if you are overqualified for that school and the school sees more selective schools on your list. they might reject/defer you, providing more room for less qualified students to attend instead. however, i can't support that with evidence. it's just my conjectures.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

that's what a lot of people think might happen. but at the same time, many less selective schools know that many extremely qualified people apply and don't get into princeton and mit etc. so they may end up coming to their school after they are rejected everywhere else

By Piquant77 (Piquant77) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:05 am: Edit

Is it true that admissions officers routinely exchange information of their top applicants, especially considering Early programs? Because how else would they "rescind your offer of admission" if they didn't find out (speaking theoretically). Obviously they know, so it's useless to lie anyway.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page