Any other athletes out there?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Any other athletes out there?
By Caliguy06 (Caliguy06) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Are there any other athletes out there looking to play a sport in college. Also, has anybody been offered a likely letter yet by one of the Ivies.

By Dadx (Dadx) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

I'm not sure you can get a likely letter out of the Ivies even for an athlete, until after early decision.

However, as I said, I am not certain about that at all. It just seem likely that the admissions office will want a completed application.

By Caliguy06 (Caliguy06) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Thats true, but if they see your application, they can usually tell you if youll be able to get in or not based on how much support the coaches are willing to give

By Realtyrd (Realtyrd) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 06:53 pm: Edit

I have a friend that plays for the Brown University football team. The coaches wanted him real badly, and they negotiated with the admissions board on his behalf. Not to say that my friend is not smart, he graduated in the top 20th percentile, which at my school is very good being that at the time of my graduation we had close to 1000 seniors graduating. But my point is to say that when the coaches negotiated for my friend, the school only agreed to offer him admissions into the school if he attained a grade of 1200 on the SAT's. A 1200 by Brown standards is a very low score, but my friend was able to get the grade and the subsequent admission into Brown. So I believe that it takes a really dedicated coach to pull some major strings for an astounding student athlete.

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

My son is an athlete and is considering a couple of the Ivies.

1580 SAT and 35 ACT.

10 out of 716.

Excellent letters and ec's.

Could go to much more "competitive" schools for his sport than the Ivies, but is "hooked" on the academic reputation of the schools.

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 08:11 pm: Edit

my friend got a letter from brown and columbia, hes only a junior, but made all state in track in NY and he is close to a genius

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page