How easy is it to lie on an application?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: How easy is it to lie on an application?
By Coolman (Coolman) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 11:32 am: Edit

Do colleges actually check ec's? My friends totally lied on his app's and still got into Stanford. He did not make it obvious, but do they check and if so how?

By Kushm (Kushm) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 12:21 pm: Edit

its pretty easy to lie. its also easy to get caught.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 12:56 pm: Edit

it's impossible to get caught as long as you don't list yourself as president of 200 clubs.. what's the worst that can happen.. the college will call your guidiance counlser? MY guidance counsler doesn't even have a way of verifying clubs..

sad but true

By Teli (Teli) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

That's a damn shame for those who lie to get an unfair advantage. Some people have NO integrity whatsoever. Ugh, I'm disgusted.

Krish

By Legacy (Legacy) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 09:33 pm: Edit

I could never lie because if I got in I would thin that I didn't deserve it. Maybe it's just me, but I believe in authenticity and ethics, crazy huh?

By Theotherside (Theotherside) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

It is much, much easier than you think - don't for a second assume that admissions officers aren't reading this site, other posting sites, or running snippets of essays through search engines, looking for plagarism. I don't want to give away the farm, but trust me - your livejournals, your diaryland accounts, your posts at plastic.com - all very, very easy to find.

And even if you never confess it anywhere, and nobody finds out, on graduation day, you get to stand in a sea of regalia, knowing that of all your peers, you alone do not deserve to be there. That everyone else earned their place, and you cheated for yours.

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Haha geez. I hope the Cornell officers don't read my livejournal (or do I?). I mention their school, and how I wish to be there, in there at least once a week.

By Theotherside (Theotherside) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Try googling "livejournal"+"cornell"+"apply"

Do you come up in the list?

I wouldn't sweat it - as long as you aren't confessing to cheating or naming names about that 'terrible woman in admissions at ....University' you should be fine. Adminstrators aren't online looking for reasons to bring down good students. And writing about how much you want to go to a specific school never hurts!

By Arthas (Arthas) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

that's shocking news.. does it mean ANYONE can get into stanford by lieing on the apps?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 10:45 am: Edit

People do get away with lying on college apps, job apps. They get away with thievery, drug dealing, even murder. So I really don't see what is shocking about this "news". The problem is that it is wrong. More pragmatically, for those who really don't care about the moral issues, you can get caught and then lose it all.
This is really a small world and it is surprising how many coincidences there are and the few degrees of separation among us. When you enter the world of elite colleges, it becomes smaller. More people than you would think know each other. And lies often have short legs. To lie about something that isn't going to make that much of a difference when you already are in the running for a spot is, on the pragmatic level, very stupid. You already have a good shot. You are not enhancing your chances much at all. If you get caught, you can lose it all.
Basically the items that are most heavily weighted in the application process are easily verified and are required to be verified in the paperwork. The grades and SATs and references, for instance, have to be from the source and most colleges send a note back to the people providing references to verify that they did indeed provide a reference. For those activities (sports) where it counts heavily, there is a verification process through the athletic department. If you have won a national award, most admissions offices have a list of those most prestigious such as the Siemans-Westinghouse, etc. You can get a good idea of what is heavily considered in an application by whether or not it is something the school bothers to verify. I always shake my head at kids sweating out the essay or paying for someone to write or heavily edit the essay. The essay really doesn't count that much and even when it does, it is difficult make it count even by using a professional service or writer.
There was a fascinating case where a man actually forged his entire history and application and was admitted to Princeton. He was found out and expelled but it did take a while.
What is more surprising is how many little lies get found out. I am constantly amazed at how many people are connected to others and how something doesn't jive and the kid is caught. It can be a little thing like "Gee, my favorite niece goes to that school and is the Drama Club president. I'll bring up this phenomanal applicant's name at Thanksgiving; the one who is her vice president and singlehandedly runs all of these school productions." Ha, ha, when that happens if the kid is lying. See what I mean? Or, "Gee, Trudy at that High school is my old college buddy; haven't spoken to her in 30 years. I'm going to give her a call. Heck, I have this phenomonal applicant from her school that I am considering, I'll bring up his name. She has to know him considering he is president of just about every club at her school." Remember the people who work in the admissions office are living, breathing people with friends, contacts and relationships.
So kushm's post on this board sums it up. "It is easy to lie. It is also easy to get caught".

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 11:54 am: Edit

Lying on applications certainly doesn't stop with the college ones! I am always amazed at the news articles about a college football coach or university professor who claims to have an advanced degree (or an advanced degree from a specific college) and then is caught in the lie. They usually resign or are fired. Sometimes it takes years for the truth to come out--and by then, the person has done very well in his job and has a nice career. Still, they are out of a job.

By Ibemuslim (Ibemuslim) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 04:51 pm: Edit

or if you read about it princetons valedictorian a few years ago. she was top of her class, handing in her last paper for psychology, brilliant girl many said. her professor went over the paper that night and he thought he heard it somewhere, she was expelled 2 days later, and she PROBABLY finished her degree somewhere else. it was later known that she pladgerized the professors book without knowing it! talk about an idiot :)!

By Thelazyone (Thelazyone) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 05:04 pm: Edit

How do they check things like race? I am 1/16th Cherokee, and I am not sure whether to put it down as a second race, first of all because I am not sure it is enough, second of all because if they demanded proof, I don't really know how I would do it... my family telling them probably wouldn't be enough.

By Ansible (Ansible) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

They can't demand anything. I would put it down.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Oh yes they can. There are schools who then ask for your registration number. Those who are American Indian and registered get all kinds of benefits as a result of treaties signed years ago. It does not matter what percent Indian you are--just whether you consider yourself Indian enough to be registered and involved in tribal issues and rites. Ask the admissions office of a school what they consider American Indian. In schools where they do look for them as URMs, they are not looking for just anyone with some Indian in them. Many of us have some Indian heritage or suspected Indian heritage. Do check. I know someone who was asked about tribe and registry and involvement. You see, you can be eligible for all kinds of scholarships if you are truly American Indian. But if you are claiming a drop of blood that no one really has thought about for generations, well, that is a different story. /

By Bear363 (Bear363) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

Bottom line, DON'T LIE! I am sumbitting a list of contact information for all of my ECs. Hopefully this will add to the truthfulness of my statements.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page