HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Yasha2004 (Yasha2004) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

I have a recomendation from a professor from Virginia Tech because I went there for Governor's School. I want to go to UVA badly and wanted to send it as an extra help. However, some people are telling me not to send it because they are rivals and it could be taken badly. The letter is very nice and says near the end that he tried to get me in his program but i had other interests....what do i do? send it? or not....

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Send it. A good letter from a professor, even from one at a rival school, is a stellar addition to an application.

And, by the way, adcoms and profs at colleges, including rival ones, have friends at other colleges and also respect the opinions of people at other colleges. In addition, U VA knows that VA Tech is its biggest rival for admissions. I have hard that from a U VA adcom. They aren't going to be turned off by the prof's recommendation. In fact, if U Va really wants you, his recommendation may encourage them to do something like offer you merit $ so you pick their school, not their rival's.

By Yasha2004 (Yasha2004) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

i really need advice....due 2moro!

By Yasha2004 (Yasha2004) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

so there is probably no risk?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Go for it - As Northstarmom says it will only help you. Look at it this way - if you were applying to Harvard and had a rec from a prof at Yale or Princeton, would you hesitate to send it? Probably not, so don't worry about sending this one.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page