Are American Universities worth the money?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Are American Universities worth the money?
By Rllh2 (Rllh2) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:44 pm: Edit

I'm currently an undergrad at Cambridge University reading modern languages and liguistics, currently thinking about applying to an American university to do a PhD (in linguistics). It seems awfully expensive to study there, especialy at somewhere like Stanford or Harvard, so could anyone tell why I shouldn't just stay on here and get a PhD or hop across to Oxford, as it would be a good deal less expensive and it would take less time! Thanks for any comments.

By Crazee8 (Crazee8) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Are you eligible for any scholarships? Have you applied for any scholarships? If its really expensive for you, then go to Oxford, its world-class university and you'll be given the same amount as respect doing a PhD there as you would at a university here.

By Rllh2 (Rllh2) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 02:08 pm: Edit

I think so, the Fulbright commission helps a great deal if you can get the scholarship in the first place which is fairly competitive... thanks for your advice, I'll probably apply to Oxford. Although it's too cold here in England!

By Sostressedout (Sostressedout) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Id stay and go to Oxford, Harvard and Stanford don't even compare to Oxford and their deff overpriced;

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page