Recommendation letter thank you gifts

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Recommendation letter thank you gifts
By Il_Neige (Il_Neige) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

Does anyone have any ideas for a small thank you gift for a really great counselor (male, and responsible for a near full-ride for me), and a female ex-teacher for writing my letters of recommendation? I can't seem to think of anything good. Thanks for the ideas.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

I think just a nice card with a letter written in it is nice, but if you really feel you need to go beyond that, gift certificates to resturants are always good.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:58 am: Edit

Gift certificates to bookstores are good.

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:28 pm: Edit

i'm not sure what i'm gong to get for them. i'm going to get something for my counselor, my history techer, calc teacher, caltech guy who wrote me a rec and my ap lit teacher cause he's been helping me out a lot w/ my essays.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

ooh i KNOW teachers and such LOVE Starbucks gift cards. Im getting a few of mine $5 gift cards ALONG with thank you cards. Its only right.

For those that may not, get them a gift card to somewhere cool that they might like such as World Market.

By Zorro5280 (Zorro5280) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 08:57 am: Edit

The problem with gift certificates is that they wave a dollar amount in front of their face, which I think is gauche. I believe a sincere note and a plate of cookies you baked yourself is more heartfelt. MHO.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 10:32 am: Edit

The nicest thing that you can do for your GC and teachers is to write a heartfelt letter saying exactly what they did to help you, and how much you've appreciated their changing your life.

People who do the kinds of things they do aren't looking for any kind of material reward. In fact, if you give a gift certificate or something similar, it might take away from them some of the joy the got out of helping you attain your dreams.

If you feel obligated to give them a material gift, give them something you made (a homemade treat or if you are an artist, you could use calligraphy to design an inspirational poster) or something that's small, but has some kind of metaphorical meaning.

You also could take them out to dessert or something, taking the time to listen to them and learn about their lives as well as to tell them again how much you've appreciated their help and caring.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 04:12 pm: Edit

I was about to ask the same thing.

I liked something simple, like a Starbucks gift card, but I was wondering, is like some chocolates ok or something?

By Il_Neige (Il_Neige) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I think the bookstore is my favorite idea, I never even thought of that. Thanks for the help.

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 03:41 am: Edit

This is not about recs, but may be relevant. Last year, my S had a student teacher who basically took over teaching 9th grade English for the second semester. She did a fabulous job.
Knowing she would be on the job market, I made sure, toward the end of the academic year, to write to the head teacher (her supervisor), the dean and the principal, to let them know how impressed I was with her performance. I thought that letters like that would look well in her dossier. I wish our school's budget had allowed us to retain her, but since it was not possible, I hope my letter helped her secure a great job somewhere else.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

The nice thing about the bookstore idea is that the teacher can get either something for him/herself or something for the classroom. That helps address the fuzzy issue of writing letters being part of the teacher's job, but also something where they spend their own time on you personally.

I also thought the Starbucks idea was good, and I hadn't thought of that one. That would let you keep the dollar amount low enough that the issue of "paying" the teacher to do something that's part of their job doesn't really arise, but on the other hand you can actually get something at Starbucks for under $5, which may not be true at a bookstore and which certainly isn't true at a restaurant. A similar idea would be a gift certificate from a special ice cream or dessert-type place, or nice bakery, if you have one near the school. I have also heard of giving free movie passes or certificates for Blockbuster as a low-cost "thank-you".

By Neo (Neo) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Don't forget...

A simple, heartfelt, meaningful thank-you says a lot.

By Mike105 (Mike105) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Do you do this for the RD recs and ED recs or only after they do the RD recs?
It would seem weird to give the teacher "money" when s/he after the ED recs and then be swayed (in a negative way) before the RD rec. The teacher might think you are bribing him/her for the rec. I think it's appropriate only after the whole college fiasco is over.

But I'm not sure, should you give a thank you card after the ED rec and again after the RD rec?

What do you say in it? (I'm not one to be writing these heart-felt letters) For my ED one, should i say "thank you for writing my college rec. i will be giving mroe to you shortly"?... any suggestions?

By Rosiebabe5 (Rosiebabe5) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:54 am: Edit

when should we do this??

By Financelad (Financelad) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:55 am: Edit

a nice candy box :)
so that they can feel good ;) and dont forget to include your senior portrait :D

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 07:50 am: Edit

> when should we do this??

I think towards the end of the year when all recs are done and you actually know where you are going. I also think that a letter or card by itself is fine. At most schools, gifts are probably not expected, and if given should be kept monetarily small.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:59 pm: Edit

I decided I'm just going to get some simple chocolate for my teachers, and a little something extra for one of my teachers who really wrote a great rec. for me.

I bought the candy already...should I still wait till the end of the year because we won't be getting our replies until 2004. (regular decision)

By Rosiebabe5 (Rosiebabe5) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 04:52 pm: Edit

What if my teachers are already finished writing all of mine?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page