MIT vs. Swarthmore

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: MIT vs. Swarthmore
By Siriuswishbear (Siriuswishbear) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Out of curiousity:
one of my friends informed me the other day that, being female, it would actually be easier for me to get into MIT than Swarthmore. Her reasoning was that MIT has a predominatly (wow..i can spell can't i?) male student body, so getting girls would be a plus, however, swarthmore has plenty of girls so they're not too worried about it.
i don't know where she heard this, but has anyone else heard this OR does anyone know if there's any truth to this? (i would LOVE to go to MIT...but i REALLY don't think i'd have a chance in hell of getting in, if this is true, then i really have no shot at swarthmore either, not that i did in the first place....anyways...)
thanks!

By Binks (Binks) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:41 am: Edit

uh...actually, for a while that was true. A few years back the chances of girls getting in were 1/4 while for guys it was like 1/8. But since the, MIT's started an agressive recruiting program for females in which case they've been receiving many more such applicants. This year for example, they actually admitted more girls than guys (53% females). Don't let the numbers fool you though, the girls who apply are a self-selective pool, in other words, they're just as stellar and competitive.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page