Anybody know about colleges' attitudes towards Hawaiians as

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Anybody know about colleges' attitudes towards Hawaiians as
By Alextmw (Alextmw) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

My great-grandmother was full Hawaiian, so I'm 1/8th. Think that qualifies? Are colleges not that excited about Hawaiian types to begin with?

By Alextmw (Alextmw) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

btw, the rest of my title was "... an URM?" :D

By Swtaznangel4eva (Swtaznangel4eva) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

<post deleted, rudeness>

By Alextmw (Alextmw) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

I'm not sure how low you can go to claim it, but my dad went to a high school in Hawaii that required its students to have Hawaiian blood, so if I could go there, I can check the box..

Whats the NOT supposed to mean? Nothing wrong with Hawaiians... I'm not boring...

By Abyss (Abyss) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

read the entire post :

"but his hawaiianness made up for it, YA know?"

....right.......

By Alextmw (Alextmw) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Yeah I'm not sure what he really meant with all of that.

By Ycnan7 (Ycnan7) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:47 am: Edit

i know someone who got into northwestern from hawaii as well. he is not the most exciting guy either. I think swtaznangel was trying to say that although he may not have been the most qualified candidate, his hawaiian stance gave him that extra edge in getting in.

By Ycnan7 (Ycnan7) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:49 am: Edit

BTW, alextmw, i think swtaznangel is a SHE, right swtaznangel4eva?

By Alextmw (Alextmw) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 02:06 am: Edit

Oh sorry. hehe.

Yeah my Dad was definitely a good student, but he got into Brown and Stanford awfully suspiciously. Granted, that was 30 something years ago but I do hope it still helps a bit.

By Swtaznangel4eva (Swtaznangel4eva) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 04:39 pm: Edit

oh it will help... trust me on this one...

what if a person is japanese but from hawaii... are they still hawaiian?

By Alextmw (Alextmw) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

nah. not ethnically... but in terms of being from hawaii, yeah they might call themselves hawaiian. people in hawaii tend to call themselves "japanese" or "samoan" or whatever they happen to be..

By Swtaznangel4eva (Swtaznangel4eva) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

omg, they deleted my messages for rudeness... the person who deleted it should be kicked off the college confidential staff for rudeness... my gosh, some people... they take my compliment to hawaiians as something rude... now thats stupid, like ana the macipher...

geez, someone on the cc staff is blind and STUPID...

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Well, I didn't see the message and I'm not the one who deleted it but attacking the moderator staff is an instant EXIT ticket. Poster banned. Some people really need to read their Terms of Service.

--Moderator Obiwan

By Collegeapplier (Collegeapplier) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:45 am: Edit

What's a URM?

By Alextmw (Alextmw) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 07:00 am: Edit

under-reprsented minority

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page