The Admissions Comittee

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: The Admissions Comittee
By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 02:40 pm: Edit

Who makes up an admissions committee? Are you evaluated by state (i.e. certain officers who deal with your area evaluate you)? What if you're a transfer student-- are you evaluated by region, school or major (i.e. is the committee composed of professors in your proposed field)? I'm just curious. I have no idea how this thing works.

By Liera (Liera) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 02:50 pm: Edit

I think it depends on what school... I know Yale has a special admission officer for each region/country (i.e. Diana Cooke is responsible for west-coast Canada and etc.) like what you said up there.
Check on the universities you're interested in... possibly under "Contact Us"

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

Read "A is for Admissions." They're not an inspiring crowd. Recent alums not yet in grad school, carreer admissions people who are about half as smart as the people they're evaluating... Depends on the school, though. At Cornell and MIT, profs do have input. At Princeton, there are no regional admissions officers. They might tell you if you ask, especially on a visit...

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 03:11 pm: Edit

Ah. I have applied as a transfer to Cornell, under anthro. I really wish that Anthropology professors would help to evaluate my file. I emailed the chair of undergraduate studies, and she was so nice and helpful-- and I think she would know more than most about a student's potential to succeed at the school. Why in the world would they use recent alums? It scares the heck out of me. What is the role of the Dean of Admissions in the selection process, if any?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page