Ideal # of recs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Ideal # of recs?
By Siriuswishbear (Siriuswishbear) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

I was just wondering what the ideal number of recs you should send to a school is? Currently, for Haverford and Swarthmore, I have three from teachers and I'm debating asking for two more (one from a counsellor at Astronomy camp, the other from the chair of the physics & astro dept at the university i worked at over the summer)
is that too much? if 5 is too much, would 4 be? (i've already asked my three teachers, and I think all three of them will write great letters for me so i don't want to say "oh, never mind" plus, that's kinda rude. Also, i really think the letter from the camp counsellor would REALLY help me)
what'd u think?

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:58 pm: Edit

uh, three is too many. send two.

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 04:10 pm: Edit

I think 3 is fine. Anything more than that is redundant.

By Whatever17 (Whatever17) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

well..wait a second... for example Tulane university didnt ask me for any recs, except a counselor form, and USC says you need one rec. Therefor, I was thinking I only need to get one. Is it a known fact that you should send 2-3 recs, that the school wouldnt even specify it?

i dont even know how to ask my teacher for a rec. should i just be like...umm mr whatever, could you please write a letter of rec for me?...or what should say? u guys wanna give sum advice?

By Siriuswishbear (Siriuswishbear) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

I just went up to my teachers and said "Hey Ms. *insert name*, do you want to do me a REALLY big favor and help me get into Haverford or Swarthmore?"
but then again, you may want to consider how close you are to your teachers before you start asking like that (all three of my teachers that i asked, i have pretty good relationships with. my friend and I have just sat and talked to them for a couple hours about random stuff, completely not related to school) If you've got relationships like that with your teachers, ask however you feel comfortable, if not, something more like "I was wondering, if you're not too busy, if you could write me a letter of recommendation to ____"
Just ask however you feel is comfortable for you. Be polite/nice about it and give them time to write it for you (at least a week or two..at LEAST)
hope it helps

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Whatever -

Just ask her "Would you be willing to write my college recommendations?"

Be sure to follow up with something like "Would you write positive things about me?"

You don't want a teacher writing recommendation because she feels obliged, or she might not write very good ones.

Sarah

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Whatever -

Just ask her "Would you be willing to write my college recommendations?"

Be sure to follow up with something like "Would you write positive things about me?"

You don't want a teacher writing recommendation because she feels obliged, or she might not write very good ones.

Sarah

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page