Can Essays = Admission?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Can Essays = Admission?
By Koyaanisqatsi (Koyaanisqatsi) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:18 am: Edit

A Student is applying Early Decision to Northwestern.

Let's say this student has high SAT I and SAT II scores, is a National Merit Semifinalist, has strong EC's, takes rigorous classes, but has a GPA around 3.4.

Let's also say this student writes several superlative essays, ones that stand out from the pack in the eyes of the Admissions Committee.

Is it likely that these essays will put the student into the "admit upon first read-through" category?

By Ycnan7 (Ycnan7) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:28 am: Edit

I've never thought about categories existing.. Elaborate on these categories please. I'm applying to Northwestern ED as well.

By Kingdvl (Kingdvl) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:24 am: Edit

I think the categories are more metaphorical.

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 10:21 am: Edit

Maybe. Usually, it's just the ONE personal essay that, depending on the content and how well it's written, can lift a student into the acceptance pile. Such an essay has to be quite unique and easily sets itself from the pack.

By Koyaanisqatsi (Koyaanisqatsi) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 12:00 pm: Edit

I was speaking metaphorically about the category.

By Swtaznangel4eva (Swtaznangel4eva) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 12:24 pm: Edit

hmmm, the only advice i can give you is to not apply early to northwestern... or not apply to northwestern at all... that way, you wouldn't have this problem...

get it? got it? Good!!!!

By Koyaanisqatsi (Koyaanisqatsi) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Um, have any reasons for this?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page