Matches for me please

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Matches for me please
By Compewter (Compewter) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 05:15 pm: Edit

Hi Iím Canadian (Ontario), and I donít know much about U.S schools. Iíll post my stats, and could you guys give me any recommendationsÖ thanks!

I have a 4.0 (I thinkÖ It is hard with conversions; Like 95 average, which is well over A+ here.)

SAT I -780 Math Ė650 Verbal

SAT IIís in December (Expecting all over 700, maybe over 750 for Math)

Extra-Curriculars:

Grade 9 Chess Nationals
Grade 10 Chess top ten provincials
Ranked top 50th Nationally in chess for all years of high school (eg. ranked top 50th among all grade 12's).
Organizer of chess club at school.

Gr. 11, and 12 varsity soccer player. In grade 12 I was a coach as well as player.
Gr. 11, 12 Indoor soccer.
Iíve played 8 years of soccer for my town. <--Captain for 1 year.
Organizer of Ping Pong club at school.
First Degree Black belt in Taekwondo

Studied abroad 1 month in England

Gr. 10 Science Olympics
Gr. 11 award from school board for mathematics
Gr. 11 scored top percentile on math competition nationally

Iím top 5% ranked, and taking the most rigorous courses.

So what do you guys think? What schools can I go for?

By Crazee8 (Crazee8) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Those are great stats! Anyway, your question is rather broad. What do you prefer a liberal arts college or large university? Do prefer the East coast or West Coast? Tell me more about what you are looking for in a college and what you intend to study and I could help you out.

By Compewter (Compewter) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Well, really I would prefer the school on the northeast coast (because I'm a little closer to home.) However, if the school is really top notch quality on the west coast, then sacrifices may be made. The size should be around 4,000 - 12,000 students. What kind of program? I was thinking Math and Economics, with possibly a pinch of statistics.

By Compewter (Compewter) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 02:58 pm: Edit

BUMP

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Try these: University of Chicago, Boston U, Harvey Mudd, Uof Pennsylvania, Northwestern, NYU, Washington University in St. Louis, Wesleyan, Princeton (a reach for everyone), Duke

By Sac (Sac) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Your portrait has MIT written all over it to me. They have an excellent economics department as well as math.

Really, the only stat there that wouldn't put you in contention (meaning you'd have a shot, not that you would automatically get in) for every school is the verbal SAT. Can you improve it?

Williams, which may be smaller than you want, is a liberal arts college that is top notch in math and economics. You would need to show them you're interested.

By Compewter (Compewter) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Can I improve my verbal? Probably, but I don't have time, because I still have to write all my SAT 2's (I found out about the requirements of U.S schools late, and my counselors are greatly pushing me to Canadian schools, so no help). Will a good score in writing help make up for it? I seem to be doing well with the grammar stuff.

Oh, and thanks for all of the recommendations so far.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page