Confidentiality of this Forum

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Confidentiality of this Forum
By Tavilach (Tavilach) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

I have posted some things on this forum that may to some level have given away my identity. Now, I've been seeing some alumni hanging around the forum, and I was wondering if they ever pass on information about an applicant to the school...

I've said stuff that I don't really mean. You know, when you get depressed about anything, you just write random things. So I'm afraid that what I said may have a negative impact on my acceptance into certain schools.

By Culovv (Culovv) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

This isnt 1984. Or maybe it is.

By Tavilach (Tavilach) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 01:14 am: Edit

I know that my friend posted once on this username, if not more...

I never had a chance to look at my post about my stats, but I think he edited it to look all petty and everything (so he says...it got deleted). I don't even know what I have in Chem, yet...we haven't gotten our grade...yet, he said he centered the whole post around it. Freaking moron...I was depressed because of a family issue...no point in even defending myself, it's so dumb.

Wow, I'm going to *kill* him if this has ANY affect on my application!!! I shoud've made my password harder to guess ;).

It would be quite a privacy infringement in my opinion for colleges to see this stuff...

By Xerox (Xerox) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:06 am: Edit

Nothing to worry about. That's all.

By Rachmiel4 (Rachmiel4) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:24 am: Edit

i think everyone says things they do not mean sometimes. it's hard to believe that boards like this, which carry for many a great entertainment value above all else, would be taken seriously. i cannot imagine adcoms concerning themselves with much more than the application and its supplemental materials.

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:25 am: Edit

tav...You're giving this board "way too much credit" for having ANY impact on your admissions process!

This board is generally "fluff" and not "stuff".

By Dylan (Dylan) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:56 am: Edit

Tav,

Wait. Do you mean to tell me that places like Harvard, which receive thousands upon thousands of applications a year, take the time to find the 10 or 15 people posting to this board, and using their comments as part of the admissions evaluation? You've got to be kidding me.

By Ansible (Ansible) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 02:39 pm: Edit

hahahahaha

By Tavilach (Tavilach) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:43 pm: Edit

"Wait. Do you mean to tell me that places like Harvard, which receive thousands upon thousands of applications a year, take the time to find the 10 or 15 people posting to this board, and using their comments as part of the admissions evaluation? You've got to be kidding me."

It's a conspiracy!!!

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

You'd all be surprised.

By Tavilach (Tavilach) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

What are you saying, there?

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Think about it.

Even though there may be people here who exaggerate their stats, many posters leave enough identifying information-- easy when you have the specific GPA, SATs, and ECs listed out. This forum would be a goldmine of information for adcoms; I wouldn't doubt it if some of them lurk occasionally.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

He's saying that you're paranoid and he's feeding your paranoia.

By Tavilach (Tavilach) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Yeah, I figured. They couldn't possibly use it as information...anyone could post someone else's stats. Why did I even bring this up?

By Whitemig (Whitemig) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:08 am: Edit

Why would admissions people look here? Does Harvard really need more overachievers applying?

By Transcriber (Transcriber) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 09:23 am: Edit

Just to add my two cents here. On a recent visit to Yale an adcom representative became rather indignant when I mentioned something I had read on this site. She went on to advise my son NOT to spend his time obsessing over what is posted here, stating that most of the posters don't actually know any factual information at all about the admissions process and that poring over lists of stats that others put up for "experts" to evaluate is just plain nutty. Sharing information about college visits and common questions and anxieties that all applicants have is one thing, but she felt that the way people try to sit around and predict who will be admitted and who will not is just ridiculous - aside from being discouraging and depressing. So in answer to your question, I don't actually think the Adcoms spend much time trolling these boards for info on prospective applicants - stop worrying.

By Asndfkas (Asndfkas) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:44 am: Edit

Thanks, Transciber.
But then, why are you here?

By Zorro5280 (Zorro5280) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:28 am: Edit

There is a not-so-hidden irony to Transcriber's post: The only way the Yale adcom could know to diss this board would be to have browsed it. THUS... proving that adcoms from places like Yale may, in fact, lurk here. Heh heh heh...

By Transcriber (Transcriber) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:48 pm: Edit

In answer to your ? Asndfkas I am here because I find a lot of the information that other parents provide very helpful, i.e. their comments on college visits that we have not been able to make, etc. It's comforting to know that others are experiencing some of the same frustrations that we are. I think it's unfortunate, however, that some of the students, allow themselves to become so upset comparing themselves to one another.

As for the Adcom Zorro, she said that she had been originally made aware of the site by an applicant, had subsequently checked it out and was appalled by some of the amateur evaluators and their off-the-mark comments.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page