Oxford interviews?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Oxford interviews?
By Lxg21918 (Lxg21918) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

has anyone received their oxford info yet? i got the e-mail about the interview in new york, and now i'm waiting for the names of my assigned colleges. i'm appyling to read PPE at st. john's and the person who is interviewing me is a tutor in geography at st. hugh's. if anyone knows how that works out, i would love to know. i'm also just wondering if anyone else is applying (what for? where? etc) and has found out what's going on. also, any tips on the interview would be greatly appreciated.

in the meantime, i have to pick out my writing samples... grrr... i haven't saved that much from previous years, so i keep praying that one of my humanities teachers will assign an essay on a pertinent topic, say, this week. otherwise it's analysis of hamiltonian economics and a comparison of classical greece and china for me.

feel free to discuss or merely vent... i know i'm ready for this process to be over.

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 08:18 pm: Edit

good luck!!! a friend of mine is also going for oxford. it's tough!!

By Lxg21918 (Lxg21918) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 01:43 pm: Edit

thanks! i think i'll need it. even though there's a 25% acceptance rate, the numbers are so misleading because applying as an american student is such an arduous and foreign process, makng it fairly self-selective. could you tell me which college your friend is applying to or what he or she would like to read?

By Toamerica (Toamerica) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Is there any summer programs at oxford for undergraduate students? do you know where i can get some info??thx

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Hi, I know this post is old, but hopefully somebody will see this anyhow, I might start a new post as well.

I'm a junior who is extremely interested in applying to Oxford. I've read through the majority of posts on this board, and feel I'm fairly wellinformed about the admissions process.

However, I really want to study PPE at Oxford, and I know this is a very popular subject. I'd also love to attend Magdalen which is supposedly one of the harder schools to get into (I'm also looking into University, Corpus Christi, and New). It doesn't help that I'm an American applying, and acceptances are in the single digits from North America to Oxbridge.

I'm taking three APs this year (AP Spanish, AP US History, AP Comparative Government) and plan on taking at least 4 more next year. All except AP Spanish are relevant to PPE, so I'm hoping this shows a continued interest, which I truly have. I wish I had taken AP Euro History sophomore year, but theres nothing I can do about that now. I know I have no actual grades yet to state, but would anyone be able to tell me if there's even a chance for me? I think I should be able to pull 5s in the majority of my APs, but at the time of application I will have only taken three. Will this hurt me? Should I choose a less popular college? Choosing a different course is almost out of the question as I would not want to study a different subject that I'm not as interested in just to have a better chance of being accepted.

I attend Stuyvesant High School, which is (supposedly) at least one of the top 3 public schools in the country, so I do feel like my courses have been advanced to the point where with a lot of extra effort I could match the UK education system, although we are two years behind.

I also really like the way courses are taught (tutoring), the idea of graduating in three years, the subject overall (EXACTLY my passion), England itself (I studied for three weeks at Cambridge last year and loved it as well - hmm...got two or three credits there, will that count for anything?), and feel that I would do well at the interview, being fairly extraverted and good at speaking to adults/teachers/professors.

I would LOVE to hear of anyone who got into or knows someone who got into Oxford to study PPE from North America, what their grades were, how the interview went, where they interviewed, what college, etc. In fact, any advice at all is very welcome! Thanks SO much!!!

miscgrl

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page