Which teachers to ask for letters?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Which teachers to ask for letters?
By Anonymous2002 (Anonymous2002) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 02:08 pm: Edit

How important is it that one letter be from an English/social studies teacher and the other from a math/science teacher?

I ask because I basically have three candidates and would prefer to only pick two: a history teacher, an english teacher, and a calculus teacher. I know the english and history teachers can both write excellent letters for me, as they know me the best, and I also think the calculus teacher could do a good job, but he does not know me as well. So, the question is whether or not I should pick the calculus teacher over the english teacher to diversify my recommendations.

What do you guys think?

By Driver (Driver) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 03:05 pm: Edit

The conventional wisdom is that all things being equal, you should diversify your recommendations. However, if your History teacher thinks you're the next Edward Gibbons and your English teacher thinks you're one of the best s/he's ever seen, I would go with both of them over a calculus teacher who is going to write a standard "good student" essay. Your grades will speak to that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page