Yale EA Essays question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Yale EA Essays question
By Shilpa1125 (Shilpa1125) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

When would you only have to write one essay for Yale? By reading the common application supplement, it seems to be saying that if you wrote your first essay on a meaningful activity or interest, you don't have to write a second. Does that mean that I only have to write one essay if I wrote my first on a meaningful activity? What would you all do?

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

No, what they mean on the supplement is that if you make the little essay on the Common App about extra-curricular activities 500 words instead of 250, you are ok. You still have to write another essay. At least you have your meaningful activity one done, I am having some trouble with mine.

By Shilpa1125 (Shilpa1125) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:01 am: Edit

My essay on the Common App is 500 words, after I cut it down... I still have to write another one? So if I had made the Common App one 250 words, it wouldn't have counted for Yale? I'm just really confused and having some really wishful thinking!

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:06 am: Edit

Yale wants an extracurricular activity essay IN ADDITION TO your Common App essay. So however you get it to them: whether it is writing it in the little extracurricular essay section (which is a different section than the Common App essay or personal statement section) or on Yale's supplemental form they want two essays. What I would suggest is putting your extracurricular essay in the extracurricular section and then write another one based on one of the topics given in the personal statement section. If you are still confused, I would suggest calling Yale because they will tell you more clearly what they want. I am just telling you based on my understanding of their directions.

By Shilpa1125 (Shilpa1125) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:23 am: Edit

Okay, no, I get it now. It seemed odd to me that they would ask for one essay in some cases, and I was right. Time for me to get started on that second one.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page