Setback/problem/failure essay

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Setback/problem/failure essay
By Monroe10950 (Monroe10950) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 11:48 am: Edit

Hi im doing the Michigan essay, Describe a setback, failure, or problem you have faced. How did you overcome it? etc.

I wanted to write about how i broke my leg and i had to stop playing tennis (i was ranked in USTA) .

My english teacher says that that is very trivial and i should find another topic. However not eeryone has some major crisis...but in away this was my own personal tragedy...what do u thibk?

respond on the board or to culater820@aol.com

thanks

By Thecritic22 (Thecritic22) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 11:53 am: Edit

Well, I'm writing about falling on my rear during auditions for a musical. If it was really critical to YOU, then you should write about it. As long as you can stress how important it is, it's not trivial

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 11:57 pm: Edit

Email me the essay (address in profile) and I'll give you an opinion. It could be good or trite... but personally, I would think that athletic injuries would be quite a setback. (Then again, I fractured both ankles and my femur in high school while running... almost had to stop... not a good scene.)

By Boxmaker1917 (Boxmaker1917) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:11 am: Edit

Perhaps your English teacher wants your essay to focus on something that changed your life in a positive way. If all you have to say is that your injury screwed up your life as an athlete, it may not be a good topic. Because of your injury and losing your USTA ranking, did you discover something about yourself? Find a different sport you love even more but never would have tried? Became a tennis coach and see your knowledge and skills being transferred to others so that the USTA has many more hopefuls than it otherwise would have? You get the picture -- discuss with your teacher how you made lemonade out of the lemons and see if s/he still thinks it is a trivial topic.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:14 am: Edit

I think it's a good choice. Tennis was obviously very important to you, and probably your most important activity.

I hate topics like that because, as you say, not everyone has some major crisis. And if someone does, they can write a really emotional essay and get in on sympathy points.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page