Picture ID on the transcript!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Picture ID on the transcript!
By 1243 (1243) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 06:13 pm: Edit

I don't like this idea at all, but it happened. Now my transcript had my picture on it. Does anyone in here have that same problem too?

And how do you feel toward that?

By Televelis (Televelis) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Why is that bad?

By Neo (Neo) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Maybe he's a teen druglord.

By Hannajvb (Hannajvb) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

are you ugly or attractive?

By 1243 (1243) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 04:01 pm: Edit

I think of this in term of discrimination.

By 1243 (1243) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

I think this in term of discrimination.

By Neo (Neo) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

I think s/he's Asian.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Actually, people will be more likely to be favourably disposed towards the application of an attractive candidate, while an unattractive person will be heavily penalized for any errors or negative elements of his transcript.

Studies have been done in which people are given the same essay to evaluate. One group of evaluators receives the essay along with the picture of an attractive person, who supposedly authored it; another group receives the essay and a picture of an unattractive person; a control group receives just the essay. The people who think the pretty person wrote the essay gave it higher marks than either of the other two groups; the people who thought the ugly person authored the essay gave it very low marks and were highly critical.

Frightening when put in the context of college admissions, which should be based on merit.

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:02 am: Edit

ooh, that would suck to be the unattractive pic!

By Easydoesitmom (Easydoesitmom) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Do ALL HIGH SCHOOLS DO THIS ????

By Chen (Chen) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Emory's has the option of sending in a photograph along with the app. i think it's quite odd, and it seems like it's only asking to up the attractiveness in the school environment.

By Noemie (Noemie) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Columbia does it too.

By Swtaznangel4eva (Swtaznangel4eva) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 05:15 pm: Edit

"I think s/he's Asian."

hahaha, thats so funny

By Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 05:26 pm: Edit

i just got back from my interview at cornell and they had asked me to bring in a wallet sized picture of myself. I assumed it was for reference, not like judging criteria!

By Afk (Afk) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

So . . . should we include a picture in our application?

By Fiza (Fiza) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 08:41 pm: Edit

I am.
I think pictures really bring out who I am becuz I look kinda unique and i think thats what the colleges are looking for!

Plus my 'warmth of personality' and 'twinkle in eye' come out when a visual representation of me is present.

hehe.

just my .02!

By Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

i ended up sending a pic of myself on my cover sheet. it wasn't requested, but whatever. i saw other kids in my class doing it.

By Valpal (Valpal) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 05:15 pm: Edit

My D had to send in her photo when applying for a military academy Congressional Nomination from both our U.S. Senator and U.S. Congresswoman. UVA requires one from all its applicants and William and Mary has made it optional.

I have often wondered why such intities would require such a thing. Countless social psychology experiments have shown that photographs can be either prejudicial and beneficial. The "pulchritudinally challenged" are at a definite disadvantage in such cases.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page