MIT interview

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: MIT interview
By Lt_Clyde_Frog (Lt_Clyde_Frog) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 12:06 am: Edit

I'm going for my MIT interview tomorreow, can somebody tell me what questions might popup. I already know the basic questions like "Why do you want to go to MIT" and "What can you contribute" but are there any questions that might suprise me. I had a friend who took an interview and was asked about her childhood, those are the kinds of questions im am asking about.

By Asndfkas (Asndfkas) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

umm no idea. tell us how it went

By Zorro5280 (Zorro5280) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Friend of my dad's is an alum interviewer. He told us that he always asks about research: has the applicant done any, and if so, describe. They're apparently interested in how much the student has accomplished independently already, not just "what do you want to be when you grow up?" It's a bit intimidating. Don't know too many high schoolers who have patents already or who have had papers published while still in their teens. But then again, if there are any, they must be at MIT. Good luck.

By Neo (Neo) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Don't pass gas.

By Siriuswishbear (Siriuswishbear) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

I had an interview for Swarthmore about a month ago. There was no dreaded "Why Swarth" question (really surprised me, i kept waiting for it but it never came...they might just save that for the essays though). I had to fill out an "interview form" that listed a bunch of extracirricular activities and classes i was involved in. We basically just talked about what I wrote on the sheet. I'm told interviewers generally don't look at your answers to the questions but rather HOW you answer your questions (are you confident, knowledgeable about what you're talking about, passionate about extracirriculars etc.)
Tips: dress nicely, sit up straight, firm handshake, look the interviewer in the eye, stuff like that. You want this guy (or girl) to remember you when they get your application in a month or so.
Also, do a followup, write him/her a nice little letter saying "Thanks for the oppourtunity" etc.
Good luck!

By Lt_Clyde_Frog (Lt_Clyde_Frog) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 11:46 pm: Edit

I got my interview postponed to tomorrow (I'm sick right now) so i'll tell you how it went tomorrow. As for any research that i've done, there are no research opportunities in my town (small, small town). However, i am self-studying for AP Calculus this year since my school offers no AP courses.

By Wenstinator (Wenstinator) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

hey, too bad i didn't check out these forums a couple days earlier. i just went for my mit interview on the 15th of october. for me i think it went pretty poorly. make sure u prepare because they want quick thinkers who can spit out good responses when put on the spot. some of the questions he asked me were like "what was a major risk u had taken" and "what was someting u did that u failed at or the results were different from what you had expected" he asked me about hobbies adn other interests and then asked questions about my respones... like he wanted to go deeper. it was difficult and i found myself thinking a while for some answers. this was my 1st interview of any sort so i was not properly prepared. good luck

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page