Requesting a letter of recommendation help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Requesting a letter of recommendation help
By Jshifton (Jshifton) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

I know it's stupid but can someone help explain this to me.

Say I'm applying to a college with a deadline of December 15th. When I ask my teacher for a letter of recommendation, do I give her a stamped envelope, and she sends it to the college? If so how do I address this letter? How do I signify that the letter contains my letter of recommendation?

I'm really rather confused, and would really appreciate the help!

By Jshifton (Jshifton) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

bump

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 05:02 pm: Edit

Put the school's address as the return address and the teacher's name above it. You're supposed to give it to her at least a month in advance, with the appropriate forms from the application attached. Give her your SS number. You don't need it to be obvious that the envelope contains the rec because they open all the mail and sort it only afterward by SS number.

By Liera (Liera) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 02:29 am: Edit

um... what's SS number?

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 10:58 am: Edit

Social Security number.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 01:22 pm: Edit

There should be a form from each college with all of the identifying info and your signature giving up your right to see the rec. The teacher attaches this to his/her letter, which should also include your name ("This letter is to recommend Joe Schmo for Rotgut U"). The only time you have to worry about the envelope indicating what's inside is if the application includes address stickers which are designated for the various parts. Otherwsie, just give your teacher a stamped envelope addressed to the college and with the return address of the high school.

By Jshifton (Jshifton) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot guys!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page