Important SAT question!!!!!!!1

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Important SAT question!!!!!!!1
By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

The only time i took the SAT i got a 1460 (740 Verbal, 720 math.)

I studied really hard for the verbal, but not for the math because I assumed I'd do well.

I'm thinking about taking the SAT again just to try and get my math score around or above 760, thus giving me a 1500 composite.

However, my verbal will inevitably go down because I'm satisfied with my 740 and don't want to waste the time studying.

My question is this: If i take it again and get say a 770 Math and 650 verbal, will colleges care that my verbal went down? Or will they just TOTALLY disregard it? I know they SAY that they only look at best verbal and best math, but is this totally true?

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 09:37 am: Edit

Colleges either consider only the highest composite score from a single test or the highest two subscores from multiple tests (in that situation, your SAT score for admission would actually be a 770 Math and 740 verbal in your hypothetical). As the schools declare they only consider the highest scores, you can either take them at their word or worry that they are really intentionally and maliciously lying to everyone and will take points off for a low subscore. Frankly, on this one, I would take them at their word.

By Over30 (Over30) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 09:48 am: Edit

Some schools do consider only your highest score from a single test. However, there are some schools and scholarships that only consider a single sitting, not your highest two subscores. Look at each school (or scholarship) and see what they want before you decide what to do. Also, if you scored that well on verbal once, study a little and you should be able to do it again. Then you'll have a good single sitting score.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:09 pm: Edit

You have nothing but upside in taking it again.

1. The math is easier to raise than the verbal
2. There is no reason why your verbal SHOULD go down. If you scored high once, there is a better chance that you will improve than the opposite. You will be relaxed when it comes to reading and that will help your critical thinking. I am not sure what studying you would do for the verbal in addition to your regular reading, so that should not add to your workload in preparing.

Go for it!

By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Which schools, for instance, take only the highest composite from one test?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page