Not sanctimonious at all!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Not sanctimonious at all!
By Tabmasterflash (Tabmasterflash) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

this is a rough draft..i'm gonna work on the ending later tonight. Please give me some feedback. Thanks.

I did not know what I was getting into, much less any idea why. I was asked to be the Business Manager for the yearbook the summer before my sophomore year. Walking into yearbook class on the first day of school, I still did not know what I was going to do. So I was not surprised when my mouth fell open when the adviser said it costs over thirty thousand dollars to produce the book and that I was responsible for making sure we made that much money. Not having any experience in marketing or sales, I was a fledgling at this task.

Looking past the no-nonsense attitude of the adviser and the daunting task ahead of me, I remained optimistic. Instead of concentrating on the “What Ifs,” I decided to stick to the “How’s.” Making a budget plan was square one. Deciding on my sales pitch and marketing options
was the next step. After that, everything was downhill, or rather going uphill, considering the ever-increasing influx of revenue into the yearbook account.

I decided yearbook was for me after all. I
realized from my experience that nothing was unachievable and that one skill is not enough for any particular job. Learning more and more as time passed, I became more confident of my goals as Business Manager of the yearbook. Yearbook became more of a hobby for me than it was a job. Everything became easy: Selling Ads to Businesses and Parents; Convincing students to order yearbooks; organizing sales events and yearbook distribution days; and marketing products to the entire school became everyday routine activities for me.

Before joining the yearbook staff my sophomore year, I was extremely shy and hesitant. I dreaded public speaking, feared that it would hard to get people to work if I worked in groups, and rarely participated in class discussions. However, after only a few weeks into the school year, my personality took a u-turn. The fear of public speaking changed to a craving for public speaking, hesitance to work in groups changed to a preference for working in groups and as a result of the former two, I became one of the most participative students in class discussions.

As time passed by, I was getting more and more involved with the yearbook production process. I became the liaison between the production plant and the yearbook staff. I took on more responsibilities that I originally had. This is what any leadership experience is supposed to be, setting goals and limits and exploiting them to explore your capabilities. I learned that I could handle a lot more than I had originally thought I could and that if I progressed one step at a time, I would be more successful than I would be if I were to take on everything at the same time.

By Tabmasterflash (Tabmasterflash) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page