Princeton Admissions = Dunces

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Princeton Admissions = Dunces
By Lebo0506 (Lebo0506) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Ok I can't contain it any more. Princeton's paper applications were only sent out to people on Friday October 10. They still have not arrived as of October 14. This is absolutely ridiculous and unexcusable. Early Decision deadline is November 1. Additionally, people have to give the reccomendation materials to teachers, counselors, and other sources well before the current date. Although they did finally post a pdf version on October 3, this is still way late and many lower income families are at a disadvanage because of a lack of access to the internet. Any person who has waited for the paper application is officially screwed by now. I recieved applications from all my other schools (including the other ivies) in july-early september. This is just embarassing. If Princeton wants to say its the best, then its really gotta take a hard look at itself. And by the way, princeton has never posted a message on its website or sent potential applicants a notice in the mail about the delay. I really feel bad for some people who have been put at a huge disadvantage due to some lazy admissions officers

By Andy7733 (Andy7733) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 05:34 pm: Edit

1. a postcard was sent regarding their application and printing problems.
2. if you really want to go to princeton, you will find a way to acquire their application or complete the paper one in the weeks you have left. also, you can handwrite on the paper application if you wish.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Fwiw, don't assume the delay is due to the admissions officers or call them lazy. I've worked for two universities and can tell you that problems like this don't always seem to originate where you might think. Has someone screwed up? Probably. Is it the admissions officers? Not at all clear and actually probably not.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 07:42 pm: Edit

yeah i've been a bit anxious and annoyed i STILL havnet gotten the actual paper version in the mail since i have gotten EVERY OTHER COLLEGE long before whether wanted or not.

but i guess if you really wanted to go to Princeton, you'd find a way to get it online. in this day and age, its only a trip to the library away to the nearest computer.

but i know what you're saying.

By Lebo0506 (Lebo0506) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

dont get me wrong, i've been working on it for a month. i'm just saying it isn't fair to alot of people and princeton should be ashamed. its one thing to be late, but mid october is pure absurdity. I believe the reason for it is two fold.
1.) they fired some of the admissions staff
2.) they want to cut down in applicants
3.) yes, they are dumb and lazy too!

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:00 am: Edit

Lebo....I feel your frustration as my daughter also has been waiting for the Princeton application though thankfully is not going early there as that would make it worse. We did not get that postcard in the mail. We have called asking where her application is from time to time and they have had expected dates in mind and then it passes and then we are given a new date. However, I would never call the admissions office lazy as you have or assumed any of the reasons for this dilemma as you have. Each time I have called ,the person has been polite and apologetic and the reason given each time is the printers. Maybe they truly did have a problem with getting them printed in time. Yes, it is hard to believe how long it has taken. I mean I was given dates a few times prior to now and it came and went. But I truly do not think the reasons you gave were fair, even though the situation is frustrating and hard to believe has occurred. If I were them (ha ha) I would perhaps extend the deadlines a little bit to accomodate their error, even if the error was unavoidable on their end.

In any case, if you wanna go some place bad enough, you will have to look beyond this at the bigger picture.

Susan

By Lebo0506 (Lebo0506) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 11:28 am: Edit

Update: Saturday October 18th, no application yet.............lol

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 11:40 am: Edit

i sent in Part 1 online exactly a week ago...Part 2 due in exactly 2 weeks. still no application. in the meanwhile, MIT has sent me exactly 4 copies of theirs...

what in the world.

By Miakulpa (Miakulpa) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 12:13 pm: Edit

I think it reflects badly on the school.

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Why can't you people just use the pdf??? It's neater too.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Just print one off the internet.

By Lebo0506 (Lebo0506) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 11:10 pm: Edit

of course we can use the pdf, it isn't a problem, but doesn't it bug any of you that they haven't sent you a copy? they tried to convince me yesterday that I actually recieved a copy. and then a week ago they yelled at me for requesting an application 4 times so now I will recieve four copies. yeah, i sent in part one two weeks ago and i'll send in part two this week, but as far as i'm concerned this is absolutely ridiculous.

PS: has anyone recieved a copy in the mail?

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Just got mine today. Not using it, though.

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 03:46 am: Edit

D's App came in mail today (here in CA). There must be a good story behind this mess up. . .

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page