SAT II's and the admission process

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: SAT II's and the admission process
By Cooltx75 (Cooltx75) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:57 am: Edit

My basic question is how much do the SAT IIs count? How much weight do they put into them? If somone for example got a 1250 on the SAT and got an 800, 750, 780 on 3 SAT IIs....how much would that counter the low SAT score? I know ither factors are put in like recs, ECs, rigorous classes, AP grades etc....but on the whole how much do SAT IIs count

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:19 am: Edit

mm, i would say SAT IIs are counted for more. They're less studyable and they're chosen by the applicant (sort of -- most colleges set quite limiting requirements) and therefore are supposed to show just how strong your strongest subjects are if you get my drift.

I don't know if you're hypothetically speaking but those SAT II scores are impressive : ) . Congrats! I do think it would counter it to some degree but do you have time to retake? Even with your SAT IIs 1250's still a bit of a flag.

may that help : )

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:53 am: Edit

Unfortunately, I'd have to say the opposite. SAT II's are much easier to study for than the I's, as they are subject specific.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:14 am: Edit

It will depend on the schools involved. To begin with, the vast majority of colleges do not require SAT II's for admission and most of those will not consider them for admission even if submitted (the exception is home schoolers who are very often required to submit SAT II's). Generally, your ivies, some of the other highly selective schools and all University of California schools do require them. In fact, I believe that except for Rice, the schools that do require SAT II's are all in the east or far west (for example they are not required by either Northwestern or University of Chicago, and places like Michigan and Illinois do not rely on them for any admissions purpose even if submitted). For those University of California schools, they are at least equal in weight to SAT I and likely more important (that college system has even considered doing away with requiring SAT I and requiring only SAT II's). At others that require them, they are usually at least equal in weight.

By Dadx (Dadx) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:45 am: Edit

From Northwestern

Standardized testing The Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT I) or American College Test (ACT) is required of all applicants. Three SAT II scores are required of all applicants to the Honors Program in Medical Education and the Integrated Science Program. The SAT II is recommended for all other applicants. Higher SAT II scores tend to offset lower SAT I or ACT results.

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:26 am: Edit

SAT-II are close to ACT insofar as they cover specific curricula, unlike the SAT. This is why SAT-II are not required by Midwestern colleges and universities, as ACT is more prevalent there.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page