NORTHWESTERN odd short statements..what would you do??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: NORTHWESTERN odd short statements..what would you do??
By Playdohartist (Playdohartist) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Northwestern University has a couple of interestign yet difficult questions on the short statement section.
1) What is the most important phrase to learn in a foreign language? Why?

and
2) A catchphrase is a pithy statement related to someone such as Homer Simpsons's "Do'h" and George Washington's "I cannot tell a lie." What is a catchphrase that is closely associated with you or make one that fits and explain it.

How would you guys answer these? theyre very short.. a few sentences of explanation only. I wanna see how everyopen else is responding.

Thank you!

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

If I were writing?

1.) "Thank you."

2.) "I'm not turboman you know..."

And obviously add to them.

By Musictoad (Musictoad) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 06:19 pm: Edit

I also took a look at these with my D and suggested she ask the college counselor what the @#$% these are supposed to add to a college application. I think they're supposed to show how creative a student is. I think they're pretty sad. If it was up to me, I wouldn't fill out the app but it is a great school.

By Playdohartist (Playdohartist) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

I was thinking it was testing creativity too... I was planning on taking an answer for nubmer 1 that would be common: such as "where is the bathroom", but give it my own little twist on the reasoning that was a little more witty than "it is a necessity".
As for the second one.. I have one that am highly associated with.. but I am unsure on whether it would be acceptable...
and that is
"Holy mother of...me!"

Of course this needs great explaining... let's just say that in the 10th grade I made some "world religion music videos" for my AP european history class. It resulted in me dressed up as Jesus in my groups version of "Lets talk about sects"(to the tune of salt n peppa's "Let's talk about sex") and "Be our Christ"(to the tune of "Be our guest"). Ever since then I have been known as Jesus to all my classmates and friends. In astounding situations.. when people say "JESUS CHRIST!" I respond "yes?" and when i am surprised I often say "Holy mother of me!". Its been a long standing joke that I am known for...

But, my question now is, would a university find my catchphrase and reasonings innappropriate(since it has to do with a joke and God mixed together... you never know if some people are too touchy) or creative and unique?
they thought Homer Simpsons' "Do'h" to be approproate as an example..so what do you think? And I'de be curious to just know your own responses in general.
Thanks for the help!

By Bada1712 (Bada1712) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

playdohartist, what are you putting for the ''make up your own question" one?

By Playdohartist (Playdohartist) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit

As for the "create your own question,I havn't narrowed it down too much yet- but I wanted it to have something to do with childhood memories... something like where the person is asked to describe a memory or item that represents their childhood and what it meant to them...or somethign to do with travel.. that one I didn't think would be too hard.

As for the "movie or novel" which I regret to admit that I like... I had a tough time finding one because 1) Film is my major(I'm goign into NU's radio/tv/film school hopefully) and 2) I am usually never ashamed to admit I like something. However, When I thought about my strange fascination with Pee-Wee Herman's great adventure.. I realized that I actually did have one. I'm sure you would be ashamed too,lol.

By Playdohartist (Playdohartist) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:29 am: Edit

bump bump bump bump bump bumpitty bump

By Playdohartist (Playdohartist) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

PLEASE! I need an opinion on my answer.. is it too offensive to religious goers? I am spiritual and believe in God and such and it doesn't offend me (Obviously) but what do you think?

By Mikus (Mikus) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

To be very honest, I would not go there. Particularly dealing with religion, you never know who might be reading your app. Do not risk offending your adcom. I would strongly urge you to think of something different.

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

People are so hilariously conservative here... and then the adcoms complain about too many plain-vanilla essays...

By Ycnan7 (Ycnan7) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:26 pm: Edit

does anyone have anything super creative for the foreign language question?

By Playdohartist (Playdohartist) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Anyone else think it is too risky?

By Playdohartist (Playdohartist) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

I had another one too that i say alto "Or MAYBE we're all in a parallel universe..." I usually say it when people are worrying about somethign they lost etc.. and they can't figure it out. I've been saying it ever since I saw the movie "Donnie Darko". I then go into long and detailed fantasy encoutners about how their lost item is in another universe because it's presence in our universe caused an instability.. Itde be so hard to explain in a short statement though.

WHy must my catchphrases by so strange?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page