Weird Essay Topic--How would you answer?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Weird Essay Topic--How would you answer?
By Alethio (Alethio) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:28 pm: Edit

On the Stanford application, one of the short answer questions is:

Jot a note to your future roommate relating a personal experience that reveals something about you.

I'm wondering how one would approach this so that it's written differently than if the question was just "Write about a personal experience that reveals something about you."

By Neona (Neona) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Are you applying EA or RD? have you written the other prompts yet?

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

I am writing it using more colloquial language, and making it something that the roomate would care about. Say, for example, you are a skiing fanatic. Say something like "I'll try to make sure my gear doesn't spill over into your side of the room" or something. Bad example, but I hope you get the point I am trying to make!

By Alethio (Alethio) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Neona-EA, and I've written the other short answers and the essay, but I'm rewriting the essay

Sarbear-hehe, I think I get it =) thanks for the help

Anyone else have any ideas by chance?

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

I'm still not quite sure I really have a point, because the question says to relate an experience. I don't know how to tell a story in a jotted down note (who does that? don't most notes you jot down say something like "be home at 6:00", or "your books are in the second drawer"?)

By Yaearb (Yaearb) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 07:51 am: Edit

I was raped last year so I have a phobia of women
LOL :)
I myself am breaking my head on this one without any idea...

By Kissy (Kissy) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 09:36 am: Edit

Dave Berry's book has some actual essays from a successful Stanford applicant, including the "note to your roommate." Think you can still order the book from this website.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page