When they say they *ignore* freshman year...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: When they say they *ignore* freshman year...
By Lbtg43 (Lbtg43) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

...does that mean that they look at a recaculated GPA excluding freshman year?

hypothetically(sp), say i got a 2.5 freshman year and a 4.0 the following three years, do i tell them that i had a 4.0 GPA or do i have to add in freshman year.

or does that mean they just ignore your individual courses/specific grades

is it common for colleges to ignore frehsman year?
can someone maybe list off a few of the big name schools that do infact ignore freshman year?

thanks.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 05:52 pm: Edit

Actually, YOU don't tell colleges what your GPA is - your school sends your transcript. If the school does recalulate your GPA they will apply their own format after they get your transcript. There are many different variations that schools use out there - some drop things like gym, art, drama, etc. - others weight AP and honors classes. It doesn't hurt to ask an admissions counselor how the school does it just FYI before you apply. Of course, it would be much better to show an upwards trend in your grades overall (or a stable trend if you started off with a 4.0)

Good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page