Resume question!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Resume question!
By Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 12:26 am: Edit

Actually I have 2 questions...

Should I include a section for "Interests/Hobbies and Skills"? I dont know how to phrase some of my skills. Like everyone to some degree has say organizational or clerical skills, but what if yours are exceptional? You couldnt just write like, "exceptionally good organizational skills" because it seems stupid, but when you actually think about it it is a skill.

and when u talk about work experience, should u put in parenthesis, exactly what you had to do, not just writing something like, "waiter" or "hostess" if its not something as definitive as those?

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 12:40 am: Edit

1. Skills are usually reserved for things like knowing specific software applications, being able to type a certain wpm (if you are applying for a relevant job), etc. If you have an exceptional skill which is relevant for the job (or college) you may say so in a cover letter. Also, if it ever applied to another job, then you could discuss it there.

2. When you are talking about work positions, you should list the job, then the position, and a colon and description (one of a few methods). So, follow the model below:

Work Experience (underlined)
Friendly's Restaurant, waitress: responsible for waitressing duties, greeting guests, training new employees, aid to manager for customer service, cashing out registers at end of day, totaling receipts.

Now, you can make your resume look really sweet by bulleting each responsibility and aspect of your job. Play around with different formats.

By Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Thanks so much! Yesterday, my friend looked at my resume after showing me her's and there were a couple of factors that she pointed out to me that I didn't realize. Like my font was too small, it was a size 11 but i guess the font type made it look smaller. Another thing was that the things on my resume didn't catch eye attention, so i added highlights.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Underlining, changing up font sizes for headings, bullets, etc., and bolding help to make your resume a bit more eye-catching, and also help to organize it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page