WHY you don't put down National Honor Roll... LOOK!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: WHY you don't put down National Honor Roll... LOOK!
By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

People have asked me, "Why shouldn't I put down ________________________ on my college apps idiot?"

^^^^

Insert:

Who's Who's of American Highschool Students
National Honor Roll
Society of High School Scholars
etc...

Well, here's why:

DEFINITIVE proof of the worthlessness of these "awards." These are real, not scans, but taken with a digital camera (they are pretty crappy, but you can still make it out easily). I told some about this, and they said they'd pay for a scan. Well, here's a camera shot... send the money too: Just kidding...

Picture 1: http://home.comcast.net/~zephyrmaster/proof.jpeg
Picture 2: http://home.comcast.net/~zephyrmaster/proof2.jpeg

And my name ISN'T Pete Zahut, and any parent that names that child that is insane.

Post and agree! I strongly dislike these "legal scams." Look, they gave this to a fictional person. Makes it seem a tad less significant huh?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Another semi-scam that people list on their college applications is having been published in one of those poetry contest anthologies that accept everything that's sent in.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

That's true.

By Gigglz (Gigglz) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Who's Who's of American Highschool Students
National Honor Roll
Society of High School Scholars

haha, now i feel dumb. i received all those "awards"..so i guess, should i just scratch them off all my apps together???? or if i left them on there, would schools think i was just trying to fill up more space? of would they know that i didnt know how legit each one is??

By Got2go (Got2go) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Leave them on-you never know, the schools may be looking for a rube that day to balance out their incoming class

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

It does make you sound provincial, and as if you are reaching.

Because Gillz, I'm sure you knew they were semi-scams to get your money right?

By Asndfkas (Asndfkas) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

i never paid anything for any of these things so i dont see how they could be that terribe

either way it doesnt hurt me
but should i put it down?
i once read that for an adcom"its a surprise not to see one"
would this insinuate that one should put it down to assure the adcom that its there
or one should leave it out because its such a joke

By Gigglz (Gigglz) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

i'm wondering the same

By Teli (Teli) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 01:44 am: Edit

Actually, an admissions counselor at Texas A&M University told me that Who's Who is a very nice award. I've noticed the difference of opinions though. *shrugs*

Krish

By Whatever17 (Whatever17) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 01:53 am: Edit

Seriously...im wondering too..I mean...I'm thinking..arent i cheating myself by leaving these things out of the apps??? I did get these awards... I might as well put it down... I dont see how it could hurt..but if it could..plz let me know.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 02:22 am: Edit

"Awards"?

Pete Zahut got one too... :) (And so did I)...

I just don't think it makes you look good. You should have better things to put down. These remind me of those vanity poetry "contests." Everyone who pays for a book gets their poem in the book.

By Wab (Wab) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:40 pm: Edit

Well, but not everyone gets these things, right? Like, I didn't send them any money or ask for them to put me in, but I still got the awards. Maybe everyone in this forum has them, but that's because we're all overachievers. Doesn't it have some sort of selectivity?

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Everyone gets the awards. Even my 3.2 gpa friend. They just want your money.

By Wab (Wab) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Hmm... then I'm confused. Why are some of them free but give away junk for money and others cost money to get into?

By Leaper (Leaper) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

DUH!........BECAUSE THE FREE ONES ARE THE REAL ONES.

IF YOU CAN FOOL SOMEONE AND CONFUSE THEM IN ORDER FOR THEM TO GIVE YOU THEIR MONEY, WHY NOT? (that is what the people who send these "Fake" letters think)
it has to do with greed

i also got nominated for the "national honor roll" with a GED. i also got invited to "the international summit of young technology leaders" to represent my "country".

...The real "masters" of the "mind", do not really care about recognition, but are willing to guide those who are open to learn the REAL truth, the student has to do it at free will, nothing is forced. if any of you are curious of what I am talking about or can relate please email me.

By Yli24 (Yli24) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:06 am: Edit

i've gotten tons of those pieces of junk. they can't even spell my name RIGHT! and they leave out the last half of my first name. what the...

lol. perfect garbage lining

By Metz (Metz) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:16 am: Edit

>>either way it doesnt hurt me

I don't know about that. Look at it logically. If I saw someone list those things (obviously I'm not an adcom but nonetheless...) I'd think to myself "what an idiot. They got suckered into thinking they actually won something, which they actually had to pay for." I think it makes it look like you have no common sense. But again, I'm not an adcom, so do whatever you think is right.

By Gracious95 (Gracious95) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

I agree with Zephyrmaster...you really should have better things to put down.

By Financelad (Financelad) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

lol i feel dumb also i got
NATIONAL HONOR ROLL

and WHO's Who AMONG AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL and they even extended the deadline for me :)
LOL

By Bev (Bev) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

The National Honor Roll isn't a fake award though - you get recommended by a teacher and you do NOT have to pay ANYTHING -- therefore (if what you're saying is true) - because you did not have to pay, it's a real award

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 12:52 am: Edit

Oh please, it's all fake. Nation Honor Roll is a load of •••• and a teacher doesn't recommend you.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 07:39 pm: Edit

bump for prosperity... :)

By Lkirkla (Lkirkla) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Greetings all: National Honor Roll is a vanity press. You send them money; they print junk in their "commemorative yearbook." Doesn't mean a thing. Please see my posting at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?6/35760 Hope this helps.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page