Will a perfect rating on the rec seem fake?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Will a perfect rating on the rec seem fake?
By Pumpkintree (Pumpkintree) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 01:03 pm: Edit

My teachers told me that they would give me all the best ratings on the teacher's recs, that is, the column of "the top few encounter in my career." I was more than happy to know this but now I am a bit concerned that whether a perfect rating on the rec would seem fake? Is it better to tick several as only "excellent"? What do you guys get if you happen to know your ratings? Thank you.

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Hey, if you are one of the top few your teachers have encountered in their career--let them say so!

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

don't worry about it.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Actually, an admissions officer at Tufts said they tend to check the other applicants from your school to that university, as well as have a slight idea of what the teachers usually say, and gauge whether or not it is a geniune recommendation. If the teacher says that about all top students, it loses its appeal... and the admissions committee can find out if that is going on.

So, to answer your question, it will only seem fake if a) they say that about everyone or b) nothing else in your application supports it. Otherwise, that column is there for a reason.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

well. the form is CONFIDENTIAL, which means ur not even suppose to read a single letter of it.. if they find out. u might get rejected.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 12:49 am: Edit

Ha, ha. Most of the recs I saw when I worked in an admissions office had the top rating marked. If someone did not, it was a flag.
A few years ago, I was in the admissions of a private prep school. I saw a tally sheet summarizing the qualities of the admissions candidates. They were almost all 5 out 5. I saw only 2 deviations.
When my sister in law applied to harvard graduate school, she made sure all of her recs gave her top scores. She needed them from her employer since she was working at the time and she told them right out that without perfect ratings she would not get in and if they could not give her a perfect, she need to find someone else to give the referral. Though she signed the confidentiality agreement, she saw all her recs. That is how tightly she controlled her ap process. She even gave each of her recommenders a sheet with info and ideas on what they could write. She did get in.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page