What if your essay doesn't say a word limit, but says page l

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: What if your essay doesn't say a word limit, but says page l
By Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 05:20 pm: Edit

This is so stupidly vague. The Cornell Application only says that the essay should be "one page" and if it's typed, then use a "12 pt font"

It doesn't say anything about double spacing or word limit. I'm so confused because I just spend 2 days revising my essay, and changing it. And now its like ONE FULL PAGE. Single spaced. Approx 700-725 words. If I moved my name and SSN into a header, I would get like 3 more lines to make it seem more spacious, but I'm leaving it at the first 2 lines of the page. Its also standard 1" all around. Is this acceptable?

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

If it says one page, it's safe to bet that the limit is around 500 words. What size/font are you using?

By Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

I'm using times new roman, 12

and I really like my essay this time!

By Ceetotheizzle (Ceetotheizzle) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Just go for the one page limit.. try to make everything fit. BTW can you post your essay for me to evaluate or email it to me at calvzz@hotmail.com

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

I single-spaced mine to make one-page.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Chrysanthemum...If it makes you feel any better...I can commisserate on behalf of my senior daughter who today was working on an essay for her early app. After revising many times, she got it to a satisfying good essay. She will ask others to read it and give feedback. I like it as it is. Problem is...the app said 500 words. At least yours said "one page" which I guess is open to interpretation as to whether single or double spaced. I hear ya that it fits on single spaced as is at 700 something words. But her app says 500. I am sure you can go over that a bit as they do not count the words but it would mean approximately 500 words. So, hers will have to be cut somehow. Hers is about 750 words. It seems about the length of good college essay samples I have seen in books but nonetheless this is over the word count. Perhaps the samples we have read were for schools that did not adhere to 500 word limit. Ugh...this will be tough. I think a different reader who looks at it fresh and has not seen revisions and such like I have, may be able to give an idea of what to cut. It tells a story and it is hard to think of what to leave out as it does not seem very long to me but the word count is over. In your case, I think you could use your essay the length it is as they only said keep it to one page. But to be sure, you could call admissions and ask if you are allowed to single space the essay. Good luck, and I am sure you have a great essay.
Susan

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page