Will Incredibly Difficult Teacher Hurt Me?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Will Incredibly Difficult Teacher Hurt Me?
By Plopfkop (Plopfkop) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 03:06 pm: Edit

I have this really difficult teacher for AP Calculus BC and AP Physics. Its amazingly difficult to get an A, since he does not count Class Participation and Homework in the grade. I'm the highest grade in both classes, with a B- and B respectively and in Physics in tenth grade I was also the highest grade in the class with an 88. He's writing one of my teacher rec's right now and I'm probably going to get them to write in my mid-year reports that no one is getting an A in his class and that I'm the highest grade (both of which will hopefully be true) but the fact will still be that I got a 4.0 last semester of Junior year and I'll have at least a 3.66 this year (if not less, due to a horrible teacher in Latin). Will this hurt me or should I drop down to less difficult classes (AP Chem and AP Calculus AB)

By Belowivy (Belowivy) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 04:08 pm: Edit

I had an AP US history class in which I received the highest grade of a B. U honestly sound like a bit*h. Suck it up and get the grade the teacher thinks u deserve. In my school no teacher counts homework or class participation. Stop complaining and start working harder. It is possible to get an A. My teacher in his 30+ years of teaching has given out two semesters of A's...yours probably has too...

By Neo (Neo) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Seriously, you really do sound like a whining S.O.B. Asking a counselor to explain away your B is only going to put that impression in the eyes of an admissions committee. Go for it.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 03:20 am: Edit

I have the only uncurved A's in a few of my classes like that.. the teachers aren't mean though, i don't know why it is that way.

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 09:46 am: Edit

Yes it's possible to get an A. It's always possible to get an A. Maybe you should drop down to a less difficult class if you can't maintain an A in the class. If you aren't learning enough in the AP class in school, you should buy a textbook and study independently. Review extra stuff. Do extra problems. If you wanted to get an A you could. Never blame it on the hard teacher--blame it on yourself.

By Y17k (Y17k) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 10:03 am: Edit

actually, with english, you can blame it on the teacher.

some teachers mark harsher than others.

for example, highest mark in our class for the last essay was 24/30, whereas students in other english classes are frequently given 25/30++

there should be standardization T.T

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 10:24 am: Edit

Blame yourself for not sucking up enough. =P

By Speechpathmom (Speechpathmom) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 11:01 am: Edit

We have just had a similar discussion on parents' forum re: bailing out from sadist's class. Check it out.

By Plopfkop (Plopfkop) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

Thanks for all your comments, but what I'm asking is not whether I can get an A. I know what I am able to get, as I am the one who is actually taking the class. But whether the colleges I am applying to (Swarthmore, Columbia, Uchicago, Amherst, Williams) will think I am slacking off if I get Bs in these very competitive classes.

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Yes. They will. The correct way of slacking off means 89.5. It does not mean B. Not only will they think you're slacking off, they'll think you suck at it. And they'll laugh at you. I'm serious.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 12:18 am: Edit

Haha!

Why are your classmates so bad at math and science?
My AP science teachers generally follow the AP curve, which is EXTREMELY generous! I mean, you have to really suck to NOT get the 5 ("equivalent" to an A).

By Bucki (Bucki) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 10:51 am: Edit

Fairyofwind, I swear you go to my kids' school with that comment. Have PLENTY of these types! Seriously, read the Parents Forum. We have 1 of these teachers now, & have had at least 1 every year. Curiously, it's 50/50 on English/Math. Anyhow, I wouldn't bail, but I would hope the strength of the class would somehow be reflected. Perhaps your counselor could show you where this would be shown w/o actually waving a flag in front of Admissions' faces? Also, personal experience: you're bound to get at least 1 of these "characters" in college, too. And countless bosses of same type. Hang in there!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page