Calling Admissions To Find Out Why You Didn't Get In

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Calling Admissions To Find Out Why You Didn't Get In
By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 05:18 pm: Edit

I heard that if you get rejected at a school you can call the admissions office to find out why you didn't get in and what you could do to improve your application

Here's my situation: I got rejected by a bunch of top schools last spring. I'm currently taking a year off and am considering reapplying to those schools. I want to call the admissions commitees to get information about my shortcomings (in my stats and my application) and find out if reapplying is worthwhile.

Here's where I need help: I don't know what to do or what to say when calling. Should I call, or should i get someone else to (high school counsler, parent?)? Who do I ask to talk to? Do I just talk to whoever picks up the phone? What questions do I ask and how do phrase them? What information do I tell them? etc.

ANY information or advice you could give me would be incredibly helpful. Thank you!!!

By Nealp (Nealp) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

my two cents:

call them and ask for the person that views applications for your geographical area. then, ask them the questions you have, be frank. after all, if they can't help, they can't help.

my other two cents:

call a school that you wouldn't want to go to now anyway and see how it goes over with them.

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Should've called right away. Most books recommend calling yourself, especially if they have an app of yours in hand. You look more mature. That Dartmouth woman who wrote that admissions book claims they'll tell applicants the truth.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Yeah, I know. I should have called right away. But is it too late now?

and thank you guys for the help, btw!

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

It's probably too late because they might not have your application on file any longer. I do know for a fact that many schools keep the applications to students they've accepted however. But you never know, someone there might be able to help. So just give them a call.

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

they still have the files. Argi- what are you doing this year?

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

If you didn't do something very constructive, the likelyhood of you getting in this year are slim.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 02:55 am: Edit

I'm spending the most of the year doing ceramics and sports.

I spent the summer teaching little kids at a summer science camp as well as mentoring for a high school kid science camp (something I've done for the past few years).

I'm going to teach ceramics classes at a local craft center this next year. I'm going to try to make some money as a professional potter as well as take ceramics and other art classes.

I'm also going to pursue sports. I wrestle and play rugby. Last year I got 2nd at the Girls State Wrestling Tournament and went to nationals. This year I plan to wrestle with a few clubs and enter some open women's tournaments. I'm also going to practice/train for USA Rugby u19 Elite Eagle Training Camp and Nat'l Team Try-Outs later this year. I went to the (invitation only) camp last year (won a special award), and hopefully this year I will make the national team and play in some international tournaments. I'm going to help coach and practice with my old high school team. I may also join the women's professional football team in my town.

I'd also like to get a job somewhere and volunteer at the Humane Society.

Frankly I have no clue what I want to do about the whole college situation. I have no idea where I want to go/if I should reapply.

Thanks so much for your guys' help.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

bump

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 03:54 pm: Edit

has anyone ever done this?

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 08:38 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page